Is my bearded dragon shedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I've been looking at my beardie, and it's been acting strange lately.
Today, I gave him a bath so he could get more adjusted to his new home ( 2 year old male beardie btw ). I also asked a question before in this site, and a fellow beardie owner told me that it looked like he was about to shed.
I've seen my beardie rubbing himself against the decorations. It looked like his skin was falling apart, and he has a black beard.
He has pooped daily, with his most recent one being normal ( but with little urate ).
He is hydrated, and Im recently trying to get him to eat his veggies ( I believe his favorite ones are carrots, as they are the only ones he ate so far ).
The brand of the uvp light that I'm currently using is unknown (as the breeder didn't specify it), but it is in the right temperature as he is always gaping when he is basking.
He is healthy, as well.
Is my bearded dragon shedding? Or is it something else? Should I be concerned? (my family is going on a trip soon)

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Do you know how old the UVB light is? Most need to be replaced every 6 months and some last for 12. I'm concerned about this breeder who didn't explain the UVB because of how important it is for normal health and behavior. Take some pictures of the lights and someone here might be able to ID them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is his beard black all the time? And is the bulb for UVB a All in One?
Karrie

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
That E136278 is a ceramic fixture, a good fixture for heat lamps. The bulb looks like Mercury Vapor Bulb, that outputs both heat (UVA) and UVB rays. I don't have experience with that type of bulb. Those are a long lasting bulb. Should be about 12-24 inches from the basking spot from things I've read online. As a paranoid Beardie keeper I would replace a bulb if I didn't know how old it is, but I would also call the breeder to ask when that bulb was first open and used.

I hope someone else chimes in because I am more novice keeper. Looks like shed. Mercury Vapor bulbs are a sufficient bulb for heat and UVB that last about a year, others on this forum have said to replace every 9 months to error on a cautious note

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom