Update -Woke up finally from brumating

Status
Not open for further replies.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
EDIT - On 1/04/2020 she woke up! No need for my crazy plans.

Right now I am slowly getting her back on feed and encouraging drinking water. She is very reluctant to drink water. I probably need to get a waterfall. For instance this morning (1/06) I was able to convince Devlyn to open her mouth by rubbing my finger alongside side her lips then used a spray bottle to spray spring water in her face. I know she is thirsty now that she is awake, but she really doesn't drink. I leave water in her enclosure too

Original post below:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am serious about this but I might sound crazy.

I think my girl Devlyn is very smart in the way a lizard needs to be smart. She follows her instincts and I enjoy her dragon behaviors.

She is brumating. What can I do to help her see it has been about 2-3 months. Definitely 2 solid months of very minimal weight loss so she got the hang of brumating. In nature spring rains or storms would come around. Right? I have a sound machine. I could play storm sounds at night in the room she sleeps, then turn on all her lights in the day. A smart dragon would want to come out her hidey hole to avoid getting water logged. Then she will bask and get back into awake time Devlyn.

Has anyone ever tried something like this?

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
That's interesting. I'm curious about temp and lights effect on brumation. My Petey was brumating, almost out cold for 3 days. I woke him because I finally got his probe thermometers, etc and got his temps where they should be, on a timer. He has not been near his hide since.
As I understand it, it is a natural thing and even though it may no longer be necessary, they still do it. Seems like having things right, he wasn't interested in sleeping and his 3 day nap was all he needed.
Yeah, I'm very curious about things like that too and think it makes great discussion with other beardie slaves. ?
I'm sure there are studies out there somewhere.
-Dee

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I read a lot about how beardies go into brumation, but I'm finding less information on when and how a dragon ends their brumating in captivity. I had a dragon growing who brumated deeply, could not be woken up. He seemed to have about a 2 month brumation. Devlyn wakes up easily. I have been offering her water every 10 days. When she first showed brumating signs I went to the vet for a fecal and x-ray, she was slightly overweight but nothing drastic. I wonder now if she purposely fattened up for brumating.

I know it might take 2 brumating cycles before a pattern is noticeable. If she does sleep til March I would be missing her like crazy. I am glad she is adjusted to the northern hemisphere and started brumating during autumn.

There are 2 windows that she can see to outside. Technically the days are now getting longer so maybe that will influence her. I'll wait another month without interfering with her. I'm going to stop waking her up for water. She only drank once. I'll let her sleep deep and reassess in a month...

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
I don't think it will ever end because of captivity. Hundreds of Thousands of years of genetics are not going to be changed by a couple decades in captivity, in my opinion. But eventually it may change, in many centuries maybe. Lol!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't find that weather or outdoor temps appear to affect brumation. They seem to have (varying) cycles programmed into their minds. Some dragon's don't brumate at all. Others do so to varying degrees and at different times. I keep everything the same in my enclosure and Darwin will just start to wake up just before Christmas every year. He then gets very hyperactive and runs all over the place while not having much appetite. He will do this for a month or two and lose some weight. Then he slows down a bit and his appetite picks back up. This repeats again during mid-late summer when he starts to get sleepy again. Nothing I do seems to affect this much. He will wake up if I physically take him out and move him around, but he is still quite sleepy during these brumation times.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Purely hypothetical, I was wondering if changes in barometric pressure might influence brumation. Animals can be attuned to the environment is more ways than humans can. So indirectly outdoor temperatures effecting an indoor dragon. The first cold week here she started to prepare for brumating. Her home was sunny and warm from lights. I wish I could find research on this but I didn't anyone or any university have this same idea to test out.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a possibility but if that was the only trigger then I'd imagine it would be more cyclical than seasonal since barometric pressure changes with fronts and storms more than seasons. It could be similar to what triggers birds to begin migration, but they tend to migrate at around the same time rather than what we see with scattered brumation with dragons. I have a feeling that there may be multiple triggers perhaps including some genetic code that is passed down to them in different ways.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Just some anecdotal observations for your research. I have 2 beardies. They have no physical contact with one another though they share the same indoor environment and can both see outside. Temps are thermostat regulated and their lights are on timers, so they receive the same unnatural light in terms of schedule. Their vivs are not identical, but ambient temperature, feeding, and human time are all roughly equivalent, as are UV, basking temps, and access to a dark 'hide'. They are definitely not related to one-another.

Both decided to brumate on the same day.

Fast-forward a few months, and our larger guy Otto is definitely shaking off the cobwebs while Helmut is still "undecided", though he's more active than he's been and just ate a few blueberries (Fig A,B). This, too, happened within a week of one-another. So, we have length-of-natural-day, scent/hormones, and beardie telepathy as our 3 leading guesses as to what drove them to brumate and wake up in a synchronized manner. :)

Fig A. "Helmut the blue-nosed rain..er...beardie"
100140-435835808.jpg

Fig B. "Ok, just thought this was cute"
100140-2832295182.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom