How do I get my beardie to stop pooping in his basking spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every day, my beardie either goes and poops on or around his basking spot. Apparently he thinks it smells just as bad as I think it smells and he has to go all the way over to the cool part of his enclosure to sit instead. I’m afraid that he’s not getting enough heat or sunlight if he sits all the way over there. I know he’s not sitting over there because it’s too hot, because every time he doesn’t poop in his basking spot, he’ll sit where it’s warm. My enclosure is 120 gallons (2x4x2, if that’s even how to write it) and everything is either tile, wood, or grout.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't think most of them like being near their poop. They also don't seem to give much advance thought to where they go aside from routine. I've had good luck building a routine and location which helps a lot. Take him out and put him in a spot that is easy to clean (linoleum floor or tile work really well). Keep him there at the same time every day until he goes. Setting up a portable basking lamp can be handy. If he likes baths, giving him a bath to help him go may help develop the routine. I have my guy out at 7 every morning. He gets a breakfast salad and time under his basking light. The door is closed so he stays in the room with linoleum until he goes, then he is free to roam around. Doing this around the same time every day has given him a routine and it's rare for him to go in his tank at all anymore. It takes time and patience but I've had good luck with this method.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Thefriendlyghost":24sbieok said:
Every day, my beardie either goes and poops on or around his basking spot. Apparently he thinks it smells just as bad as I think it smells and he has to go all the way over to the cool part of his enclosure to sit instead. I’m afraid that he’s not getting enough heat or sunlight if he sits all the way over there. I know he’s not sitting over there because it’s too hot, because every time he doesn’t poop in his basking spot, he’ll sit where it’s warm. My enclosure is 120 gallons (2x4x2, if that’s even how to write it) and everything is either tile, wood, or grout.
It makes sense that they would poo at/near the basking site. I think I read that the heat is needed for the digestive system to work properly, also the reason many will poo in a warm bath. Unfortunately, my boy's grass hammock IS his basking site and most times that's where he does his biz! ? I just clean with paper towel and a couple of baby wipes. I deep cleaned by soaking in hot water and vinegar, hitting it with scrub brush then rinsing and leaving in sun to dry.
I WISH I knew how to make him poo somewhere else! ? LOL!
-Dee

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
:lol: If you figure out how, let me know! I have the same problem, and I can't figure out how to get Figment to understand the concept of "the right place to Go."

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
ComicBookMama":3hkoa20h said:
:lol: If you figure out how, let me know! I have the same problem, and I can't figure out how to get Figment to understand the concept of "the right place to Go."
I hear ya!

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I have a hot spot pooper. Have had some success with a few different surfaces for the hot spot. A reptile bridge and basking log next to each other, so if one got pooped on she goes to the other. She also likes to hang between them, leaving her vent in mid-air then poops falls to the floor. Most of the time I still worry she is missing basking time, but at least some days her poop falls far enough away she still feels ok to bask

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
DorgEndo":oj1ty27q said:
I have a hot spot pooper. Have had some success with a few different surfaces for the hot spot. A reptile bridge and basking log next to each other, so if one got pooped on she goes to the other. She also likes to hang between them, leaving her vent in mid-air then poops falls to the floor. Most of the time I still worry she is missing basking time, but at least some days her poop falls far enough away she still feels ok to bask
Petey lacks the self respect to try to get away from his poo. He doesn't seem to care. He is a mess. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom