New baby dragon behavior questions and not eating much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nragis

So I just got a new baby beardie (about 6in) and I had a few questions to verify that he/she was doing well. (I'm just gonna use "they" for convenience)

They are eating relatively little compared to some beardies I've seen posted on here. I think they have ate about 15-20 crickets in the 3 days I have had him. However the first day I didn't have a basking lamp because someone incorrectly told me that the ceramic heater is a better alternative. Also, they are very quick to jump on my hand to when I put my hand in to handle, but while I'm letting them run about (with constant supervision) they're very quick to run away from my hand. However, in contrast, they just as often runs up to me and jumps on my hand or arm to climb up me so I'm not sure if it's a fear thing or a rebellious "you can't stop me" thing. On a side note they've even let me hand feed them a couple times. I'm fairly certain I've got the temps all right and they seem to be very active and runs around plenty, but he's just not eating much of either the crickets or the collard greens I provide daily.

I've only had him for just under 3 days now so hopefully it is just relocation stress, but this is just a precautionary post.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Its called relocation stress and hes getting used to his surroundings -- it sounds like hes taken to you and that is great------------ can you go over his set up w/ us for his UVB and his basking temps-- you can post pics of his tank and lighting ---https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then click on pic--- its good his eating his greens that is a plus --- here is a website for nutrition they like variety http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
also I am posting some website for other good stuff for your baby
https://symtonbsf.com/ great staple feeder and they dont need dusting
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/
www.dubiaroaches.com
www.abdragons.com
He will slow down on his eating but he should not completely quit eating ---
Karrie

Nragis

Original Poster
Well that’s good to hear that it’s most likely relocation stress.

Currently I’ve got a 75 W basking bulb from eco terra and a desert UVB fluorescent tube lighting from Thrive. The temp is 98° on the hot size (100-110 surface on the basking tree) and 75-80 on the cool side/hide. I’ve currently got sand in the viv but am hastily looking to get ceramic tile or a cobble type flooring because I found out the pet store was wrong yet again. He still appears to be active and runs around, but is barely eating still.

Will post images once I have a chance to upload.

Edit: Also I ordered some small pheonix worms so that I can feed him with a bowl and don’t have to worry about crickets getting everywhere

106833-7385063390.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok first thing I would do is ditch the sand---- use paper towels for now-- risk of impaction is high---- they lick everything and it harbors bacteria ----- you can get tile now or wait-- if you plan on upgrading to a larger enclosure you could make the tile fit the new tank I am thinking but if you want to wait you can use non textured non adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store --- next the UVB needs to go inside the tank -- its a T 8? It needs to be 6-8 inches from basking and there should be no cover on the fixture over the bulb - needs to be exposed --- the screen is filtering out 30 % of those UVB rays --- he needs to be fed greens every day here is a website for that
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html--- take your phoenix worms / BSFL and add them to his salad - let him see you do this and that will draw him to the bowl - I would not be feeding him on that sand -- that is why I said to get rid of it --- you can feed him in a plastic container or in the tank on paper towels --- how are you taking the temps in the tank ??? infrared heat gun stick ons or digital probe??? stickons are inaccurate ---- those basking temps are crucial along w/ the UVB ---
Karrie

Nragis

Original Poster
Will ditch the sand to be safe then. Also I’m using a zoo med digital probe thermometer and placing it on the basking tree for 10 min and taking that as the temperature, the stick on was an original choice that I quickly reverted on. I’m not quite sure on how to mount the fluorescent light inside the enclosure but I may resort to zip ties until I upgrade the enclosure.

I have been feeding him live food in a separate container for that exact reasoning and have provided Collard greens or kale daily (which he has been eating a bit of).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom