Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hello!
Prior to writing a response, please check my tank setup in my first post here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=251767

1) Waking Up In The Morning:
I've noticed a few times when Drogon is waking up, he gets stress marks and a dark beard. Why is that? The internal tank temp at night is 70 degrees. Even when he's eating in the morning I've occasionally noticed marks. Do they just get cranky sometimes? (I admit, we were putting the tree up late at night so the lights and noise may have disturbed him, but I've noticed it other times too)

2) Sunning Himself:
When I put Drogon near the window to sun himself on my lap, he gets really dark on his back, beard, and belly, but he seems to like it and has plenty of options to get shade. Is this just a way of absorbing heat?

I know most beardie enthusiasts say they darken from stress, but can it be other things too?

Thanks!
Selkie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's as you've guessed. They can get pretty crabby in the morning (I don't blame them) and sometimes show black beard, beard flare, or head bob at nothing. As far as the window time goes, the darkening is just absorbing the natural light and heat. He's likely enjoying it.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
CooperDragon":sjnhii6e said:
It's as you've guessed. They can get pretty crabby in the morning (I don't blame them) and sometimes show black beard, beard flare, or head bob at nothing. As far as the window time goes, the darkening is just absorbing the natural light and heat. He's likely enjoying it.

Good! I'm glad it's just crabbiness.

Also, after eating, he rubs his nose along one of his climbing rocks. Is he trying to clean himself?

Selkie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Possibly. They don't seem to like food along their mouth. It could also be itchy from an oncoming shed.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
CooperDragon":a6ytfmf4 said:
Possibly. They don't seem to like food along their mouth. It could also be itchy from an oncoming shed.

Im actually starting to wonder if hes in puberty. Hes constantly black bearding at nothing out of nowhere and hes 7 months old. Thank God no biting or hissing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom