Can BDs eat and breathe at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I've noticed that Zardoz' eating ritual consists of diving in head-first, chowing down on a half dozen or so num-nums, then coming up for air for a bit--away from his bug bowl--then repeating several times until he's done.

That got me to thinking about a video I saw a while back that said some lizards (e.g. monitors) have the ability to breathe & run at the same time, which other lizard species do not have.
lizards that breathe and run at the same time

I don't recall which category BDs fall into, but it's gotten me to wondering if they (can/do) breathe and eat at the same time. If not, that might explain Z's in & out feasting ritual as opposed to just diving in and eating until he's finished/satisfied.

Anyone have any 411? Does your beardie have a similar or different behavior when eating?
Jes' curious... :study:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't really thought about this. I'll have to observe more closely during the next meal times =)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Idk, but if they can't, they sure can hold their breath for awhile LOL. I've had some dragons take down some seriously massive hornworms, and occasionally it takes them a while to actually swallow it. So I really have no idea.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom