Handling help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we got pepper on October 19th. He was born on july 2nd. My son was insenctent oin getting the runt so I know handling would be rough. Gave him a week or two to get settled in. Started feeding him with thongs then moved to feeding his roaches by hand with a little gaping and puffing of the beard. When i would try to pet him he would gape and hide. I sit in front of his tank every night and talk to him. Only handled him a few times to clean his tank because every time I go to pet him he would gape and puff up. He will let me feed him a few roaches by hand but won't even let me pet him without trying to bite now. The very few times I did take him out his tank I had to chase him down to get him. He's ok with my hand in ther tank just not near him. Last night went to get him to try to get him used to handling and I had to put on gloves to get him because he was biting so much. Once I do have him out he calms down a little though last night je was a little more squeamish. Put him back in his tank and went to pet him and he went into panic and bite mode again. Even tried to give him a superworm treat with thongs and he attacked ther thongs. Do I just keep going in every night and fight to get him out to pet him or do I give him a few days to recover from the experience? Don't want to keep dramatizing him but if I give him a few days seems like the next time is worse? Help?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like you're trying the right things. In some cases it can take several months for them to get used to humans. It depends on the individual personality really. Keep in mind you are much larger than he is so keep trying and be patient. If he is getting defensive I wouldn't push it too much so maybe let him be for a few days before trying again.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Not disagreeing with CooperDragon--just seeing a different possibility...

Sounds to me like he may have you well-trained. What I mean is, if you go in to handle him (from the front/side--not the top/back where he may interpret you as a predator) and he balks--and you back off, he's just learned that if he stands up to/defies you, you will back off, and he'll get his way. This behavior can escalate over time (as it appears it may have).

It does take saintly amounts of patience; it also takes resolve, tenaciousness, and follow-through.

This may help some: How I Tame Angry & Scared Bearded Dragons

Also, try YT & Google for taming feisty bearded dragons
I suggest this to present a number of different views/opinions. Like Coop says (paraphrasing), they're individuals with individual personalities.

Good Luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom