Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi everyone!

For my tank setup and Drogon’s previous conditions, please see my previous post.

In the past, Drogon used to like sitting in his hammock under both the UVB (reptisun 10.0 t8, working on getting a stronger bulb and hood) and heat lamp (zoo med 100 watts). Nothing has changed except he’s eating more, but prefers to sit on his rock structure which doesnt have as much UVB exposure.

Im worried that he will get MBD by not getting enough UVB. How long do beardies like to sit under their UV?
XIMG]

Does he know when to get UV and when its time to move on?

Selkie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't think there is a set amount. As long as they have it available and easily accessible they know what to do. My adult dragon sometimes prefers basking under his heat only lamp rather than in one of his heat and UVB spots. He will sometimes switch between them during the day, sometimes ignore the UVB completely for a couple of days. Just provide good variety/choices and they'll pick up what they need.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Awesome :)

I wish I could take him outside for natural UV, but I live in South Carolina within an apartment complex. They spray like crazy during the buggy season. We also have hawks along with other big predatory birds. Plus, it's starting to get cold, it can be humid some days, so I'd prefer for him to stay inside, at least for now.

Selkie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
MrSpectrum":gj0xen9g said:
Selkie1993":gj0xen9g said:
Does he know when to get UV and when its time to move on?
Pretty much. (+1 to what CooperDragon said)
BDs can see into the UV spectrum, and their parietal eye helps them decide where they want to be.

Here's an article on Bearded Dragon vision.

FWIW, when the weather turns clement again, some folks are using outdoor enclosures. There are a couple of types shown in this thread.

Sounds awesome :) Thanks for the info!

Selkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom