Beardie gaping at my girlfriend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

My boy has been going through some health issues, already working with a vet to get everything resolved. I've had him for a little over three months now.
He's a very laid back boy, and he doesn't do this to me, only to my girlfriend. Lately, he's been gaping at her, fluffing his beard, blackbearding, etc. He doesn't actually try to bite her, but whenever she comes into the room, that mouth will pop open. It's just started recently, in the past week or so. And he used to love her!

Now before anyone starts jumping on "She's abusing him when you're not there", I'm going to say straight up, this is not the case. She's always very gentle with him, and honestly, she's the first person to spoil him with treats (blueberries, his favorite) and take care of him when I'm not there. She's even facing her fear of bugs to help me feed him when I've been sick. I've been with this woman for ten years, I know she wouldn't do anything to hurt him. She won't even pick him up without me in the room because she's afraid of hurting him.
She loves him as much as I do, and as I said, he used to love her. He used to leave me to go cuddle on her when we sit on the couch together. Now, he doesn't want anything to do with her. When he's out with me, he'll be relaxed and comfortable on my chest, but as soon as he sees her, he pops up his head and starts gaping. If she comes to sit next to me, he'll start headbobbing at her and stomping his front feet. As soon as she leaves, he relaxes again.
He also does this when I'm feeding him, or cleaning his cage. He'll be completely relaxed, but if he catches sight of her, he opens his mouth and drops his beard.

If he was doing the same to me, I'd assume it's because he's not feeling good and doesn't want to be handled, but as I said, he'll be lying on me and be completely relaxed until his sees her, and he doesn't display at me at all when I handle him or mess around in his cage.
Heck, I've been having to put an eyedropper in his mouth every day to give him his medicine. He bites the eyedropper but not so much as a scale will go dark and he relaxes as soon as the dropper is out of his mouth, like it doesn't actually bother him. (probably helps that the vet told me to mix his medication with blueberry baby food).

He's just over two years old, and as I said, he's been feeling sick and is on the road to recovery. Is it just because I handle him more so he's ok with me, but doesn't want anyone else messing with him while he's sick? Is it possibly a testosterone thing where he's getting more territorial?

I'd also like to point out, when he was at his most sick, he wasn't doing this. It started when he began to feel better, and have more energy.

And not to sound rude, but I'm not going to answer any questions about his light setup. His lights have been ok'd by his vet, so I am not worried about them.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldnt worry about it honestly. It is probably as simple as your dragon needing to get used to her. Maybe she wears her hair in a certain way that is intimidating to him. Or maybe he sees her as a potential threat.

Shoot, maybe hes jealous she gets more of your attention then he does :Laughing6:
On a serious note though, they can also become hormonal at times, and that can spur changes of behavior too. Really I wouldnt worry too much about it. If your girlfriend is upset by it, just put a little more effort into trying to rebuild their bond again by some quality time.

-Brandon

GloriousMom

Original Poster
Sounds good, but I don't know about what would set him off unless it was his hormones. She hasn't changed her hairstyle in the last three months, and we live together so it's not like he never sees her. Heck, she was the one who held him while I drove us home from picking him up the first day.

It'd be funny if it was him being jealous, haha. My gf is sad about it but not "upset". I'll just keep encouraging her to pay attention to him, maybe he just needs to know that he's not actually top dog, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom