Baby basks then hides and naps

Status
Not open for further replies.

aronoiiel

60731-3697763062.jpg
60731-6995496349.jpg
Hello hello! New and first time owner.Got my little Pumpkin (name change pending) and I have a concern. They are a petsmart baby (yes not the best place) on the 1st and was bright eyed and active the first couple days. Eating like a champ. Enjoying salad. Ok with being handled for a 15min period each day. No stress signs. Today they are basking for about 10 to 20mins then scampers to a hide and naps. Both on the cool and basking side. I put salad in after lights on for 2hrs. Not a nibble. I havent fed crickets yet dunno if they are warmed up enough? Its been 4hrs since lights on.

Tank-40 gal 36x18x18
Basking temp:100f takin with probe
Cool side 80f
Basking light-yellow 150watt thrive (looking to change that)
Uvb-100watt coil (also changing to t5 10.0 as soon as a local reptile store geta back to me today about stock.)
Estimating dragon is around 3 to 4 months?
At night i use a 150watt coil because my apt gets pretty cool my huaky cant handle high temps.

Poop and urate are good not runny has form.

Just wondering if the uvb is causing this or if she is ill in some way. Would appreciate thoughts?
60731-1205851967.jpg

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Such a cute baby! Your set up looks great too - - fyi I like the name Pumpkin. For babies, I think the basking side should increase a bit more to about 105. I like mercury vapor bulbs more than anything, heat as well as UVA & UVB (go to amazon to buy, not a pet store) They do need more protein than salads at this stage of life 70/30 ratio protein to salad because they are growing so fast - and then when they get older you flip it to 30/70. Always make sure to dust with calcium - Crickets are great, but Dubai roaches are fantastic. Don't smell, don't jump, can't climb glass... as for basking and sleeping, even as little tykes, they know how long to bask and when to cool down, its instinctual. Make sure you have correct humidity.
I'm sure you'll get lots of advise on this site. Good luck and enjoy.

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Thank you alot for the reply! Mercury vapora are both basking and uvb? I didnt know that. Is it something I can use in my current domes? They have ceramic sockets uf that helps. I feed them crickets 2 times a day so they get their protein. Normally they are super excited but today not so interested. Munched on a couple then hid under the basking hide again. Im considering bathing them but idk if that will stress them more. Just way different behavior than the first few days being here :(

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
From what I can tell of the size of your domes (they look like the large ones) they MVB's should fit - yes, they are both heat and UVB - which is great. They are expensive and range in price - that why get them from amazon and buy one of the more well know brands (Lucky Herp, Exo Terra etc). How long have you had them? You have 2 correct?? - You will have to separate them as they get older - did they tell you that at the store?
anyway - if you just got them, they may need some time to settle in to new surroundings, which may have put off the appetite a bit and get a routine, which would be different from the per store- as for bathing - if you have just gotten them, wait a couple more days to not stress them - I would spritz/mist them with warm water a few times a day to keep them hydrated - I bathe mine usually once a week - although my big guy prefers showers.

aronoiiel

Original Poster
No just one sorry I dont know if its a boy or girl so i just call it they or them until i find out lol. I got her on the 1st so 3 days in the new home. My domes are the 8.5" ones. I will deffinitely wait a few more dsys then. I have spritzed each day. I will check out amazon for the bulbs thank you!

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
102444-8443773747.jpg

Kevin and Nona say - no problem and welcome to the wonderful world of dragons... this is a fabulous site with lots of people who are ready to help.

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Oh my they are stunning! Thank you! I have learnt so much lurking the last few months! Its a fabulous resource with such amazing people!

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Little update: I may be overreacting as a first time beardie mom. She pooped (in her salad like always) and is now running around crazy exploring and nibbling crickets. Maybe she just had a grumpy monday morning :/

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
No worries - always best to ask questions. The two of you will get to know each other and have your own routine soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom