Beardie has begun to show aggressive behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my baby bearded dragon Apollo for about 2 months, and for about half that time he's been normal, happy, and calm. He would let me interact with him and he was well socialized, would just hangout with me while I did homework or got ready in the morning. There was an incident a few weekends ago where I had to go out of town for a family emergency, and asked my roommates to take care of him. I reminded them about turning on the lights, but they had forgotten and when I got back the light had been off for probably 24 hours. Since that day when his light was off, he hasn't been the same. He became very anxious, glass surfing often and gaping or running away frantically when I reached into his enclosure. I assumed it was just anxiety from a drastic change in his normal schedule and that he would readjust, but it seems we take a step forward and then two steps back. He eats normally, and within the last two weeks I gave him a new setup to make the enclosure more desert-like, including a background to discourage glass surfing (which has stopped when he's alone). I've slowly been trying to gain his trust back and make him feel happy and safe, and it seemed like things were slowly getting better, but today he bit me when I reached into his enclosure to interact with him. I've tried talking to him calmly, taking him out and trying to get him used to my scent and voice, associating my interaction with something positive, but nothing seems to be working. I am not sure if something besides the light not being turned on happened while I was gone and my roommates are not being honest with me. I am really concerned and I do not want to give up on Apollo. This is my first bearded dragon and I would really appreciate someone with more experience's opinion on why he's acting this way, or tips on how I can try to help him!! Thank you.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That is odd --- can you take pics of the tank and lighting and post them https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box click on pic and it should post--- How old is the UVB? What are his basking temps and how are you taking them? infrared heat gun? stick on? or digital probe? A sudden behavior change can also be hormonal --how old is the dragon and it is a he correct? Is he shedding?
Karrie

maggieherr

Original Poster
I believe I uploaded the pictures.... his temperature stays around 103 roughly and the humidity is always at the recommended amount. I change the bulb to a red light so the tank stays warm but he can sleep normally. I check the temperature with a stick on thermometer that stays in the tank always. I am not sure if it's a he or a she yet... the dragon is still pretty small and I haven't been able to determine it yet. The UV bulb is the same as the one I had when I got him, so it's about 2 months old.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So the first thing for the aggression is the red bulb --- get rid of it please- colored bulbs cause sleep disruption and can cause long term eye damage -- next what type of UVB do you have is it a coil or a tube --?? is it in the tank or on top screen ----? stick on thermometers are horribly inaccurate please get a digtial probe or and a infrared heat gun---- they are the most accurate and get a basking temp--- my guess if its reading 103 ambient temp basking temp is much hotter-- they should be 105-110 for a baby --- and the pics did not post
Karrie

maggieherr

Original Poster
Okay I will get rid of the red bulb and get a new thermometer, the UV Bulb is a coil and sits on top of the screen.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so that needs to go to--- unless it's the 26 watt-- if it's the 13 watt they are an issue-- so if it's the 13 get rid of it--- if you stay w/ the coil get the 26 watt it needs to go into a dome w/ reflector and it needs to sit approx 6-8 inches from basking- if you want to change it out to a tube I would get what most of us use on the forum which is a Reptisun 10.0 either the T 8 or T 5 depending on your tank size-- it's up to you
What size tank is he in?
Karrie

maggieherr

Original Poster
He's currently in a 50 gallon tank, thank you for the suggestion on the UV bulb! Do you recommend a bar that spans the entire tank or is a bulb on the hot side sufficient?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
For the UVB if you go w/ a tube fixture I would get a 24" fixture with either a T 5 or T 8 that fixture will do both bulbs--- it's gonna be the distance so a T 8 would need to go inside tank approx 6-8 inches from basking cover off bulb meaning bulb exposed- a T 5 can do both on top of screen or inside-- top of screen decor needs to sit directly under Neath 6-8 inches or if inside tank 12-15 inches from basking spot+ again no cover-- I hope that is what you asked
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes get your lighting in order and basking temps the lighting in the tank is crucial to their behavior and overall health--- keep us posted on her/ his progress
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom