Beardie not active what am i doing wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

iallaway

Can I ask one question please I have a 3-4 yr old Bearded Dragon and have put it in a 5ftX2ftX2FT tank, and I want to know what temp you have your bearded set to. Reason I ask I see all the dragons on the net in shops and they are all liverly, but mine always want to sit in the corner. I get it out but never wants to sit on me and always tries to get back in its tank. And is always lifeless, but he does eat ok. My Tank is 104 under basking lamp approx 90 hot end and 85 cool end. I can send or email pictures if anyone wants to see. I live in the UK if that helps.

I thank you for all your help. Hope you don’t mind me asking.

Ian

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How long has he been this way? What are you using for UVB --- brand and bulb please? Where in the tank is the UVB? on top of screen or in tank? How are you taking basking temps? infrared heat gun? stick ons? or a digital probe? If you can please post pics of tank and lighting---- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG on top of message box and then click on pic and it should post
Karrie

iallaway

Original Poster
106503-9437119932.jpg
KarrieRee":3vjsq3lr said:
How long has he been this way? What are you using for UVB --- brand and bulb please? Where in the tank is the UVB? on top of screen or in tank? How are you taking basking temps? infrared heat gun? stick ons? or a digital probe? If you can please post pics of tank and lighting---- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG on top of message box and then click on pic and it should post
Karrie
106503-7228098423.jpg
Hello Karrie
Thank you, i use 2 digital Thermometers hot end and cool end also a stick on in hot end and use Digital one for the basking spot. UVB are two one is a 25w Repti Glo 2.0 compact Natural light which you can see, and also I think a arcadia or reptisun Fluroesent tube inside the tank. He has been doing it almost all the time since i have had him, I bought him from someone in April this year. I have included two pics for you.

Thank you
Ian

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the red bulb ASAP --- colored bulb hurt their eyes disrupt their sleep and can cause long term eye damage ---- The ReptiGlo please get rid of it --- it is bad for the eyes as well - you need a bright white basking bulb --- like Exo Terra etc ---- the tube UVB is it a T 5 or a T8?
Karrie

iallaway

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1pfprhfi said:
Please get rid of the red bulb ASAP --- colored bulb hurt their eyes disrupt their sleep and can cause long term eye damage ---- The ReptiGlo please get rid of it --- it is bad for the eyes as well - you need a bright white basking bulb --- like Exo Terra etc ---- the tube UVB is it a T 5 or a T8?
Karrie
Hi Not sure about tube, see picture. Will the Exo Terra 75W or 100W work with a dimming stat.

Thank you
106503-5676766946.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The basking temps are trial and error -- you want one that will keep temps 95-105---- its good to provide a gradient of temps so he can pick where he wants to sit to bask --- the Arcadia is a good bulb but I would get the 12% bulb -- the one you have is a 10 and it actually could be a higher watt--- I am not sure about where its placed --- most are in a reflector hood and since you dont have one I would put it 6-8 inches from basking area ---
Karrie

iallaway

Original Poster
I dont have a reflector hood but you can see it in one the pictures i posted. It is at the top and at the front above the glass. You say 95-105 basking do I need any other heat in the tank, I do have the ceramic and that is only on at night if the temp drops too low. I have found Exo Terra Intense Basking Spot S25 100W from Pets at home so I will buy it tomorrow.

Thanks
Ian

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your gonna need to move the UVB --- at this point I dont think hes getting enough w/ the 10% -- and you want it 6-8 inches w/ no hood --- if you move it I would put it towards the back hanging from the top and not on the wall -- I need Brandon to weigh in on this and see what he thinks you should do about this UVB thing-- as far as temps in the tank --- cool side of tank 80's during the day ---- basking 95-105--- and at nite not below 60--- you can move your CHE to the center of the tank and turn it on at nite when you need it--- they like it dark and cool at nite for them to sleep - their metabolism slows at nite so they sleep better-- I am going to PM Brandon and have him look at your tank and see what he suggest
Karrie

iallaway

Original Poster
Ok I will move to the top of the tank but about 6 inches from the back wall. The ceramic is on a dimming stat and that is set to 75. I will buy the basking bulb tomorrow and put that on the dimmer I have the red light. Thank you so much for your help.

Ian

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Ian

I agree, once you upgrade your husbandry your beardie should start acting quite a bit better :)

How old is your arcadia tube? That one should really be replaced every 6 months or so.
To get the proper UV exposure your dragon needs, it needs to be able to get within 6 inches or so of the bulb. It would be better if you could get a fixture that has a reflector in it.

However, this is what I would recommend.
Since your tank is 2 feet tall, you really should be using a stronger UVB bulb. Such as the 12% or the 14%. These will be a different sized bulb (a T5 as opposed to the T8 you have now) so you will need a new fixture for the stronger bulb.
I would buy the arcadia 14% and buy a T5 fixture that has a reflector. I'm not sure where in the world you're located, but this is the fixture a lot of us use:
https://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-904296-NanoTech-Fixture-Reflector/dp/B00AKKUBDQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=904296&qid=1572655568&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-1
And then pick up the 14% wherever you buy your bulbs. This bulb is much better suited for the size of your tank than your current bulb is.

And I do agree, you need to have a heat bulb that produces light.
To simplify it, you need only 2 bulbs. That arcadia, and a basking bulb that produces light.
The CHE really only needs to be used at night if your temps in your house drop below 60-65 at night.
And I would get rid of the red bulb and the CFL completely.

What is his tank temperatures right now, did you get the new basking bulb? We really just need to know his basking SURFACE temperature, and the cool side temp.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom