Social learning by imitation in a reptile (Pogona vitticeps)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Interesting study : Social learning by imitation in a reptile (Pogona vitticeps)
Anna Kis, Ludwig Huber, Anna Wilkinson
Animal Cognition Journal January 2015, Volume 18, Issue 1, pp 325–331
abstract :
Abstract

The ability to learn through imitation is thought to be the basis of cultural transmission and was long considered a distinctive characteristic of humans. There is now evidence that both mammals and birds are capable of imitation. However, nothing is known about these abilities in the third amniotic class—reptiles.
Here, we use a bidirectional control procedure to show that a reptile species, the bearded dragon (Pogona vitticeps), is capable of social learning that cannot be explained by simple mechanisms such as local enhancement or goal emulation.
Subjects in the experimental group opened a trap door to the side that had been demonstrated, while subjects in the ghost control group, who observed the door move without the intervention of a conspecific, were unsuccessful.
This, together with differences in behaviour between experimental and control groups, provides compelling evidence that reptiles possess cognitive abilities that are comparable to those observed in mammals and birds and suggests that learning by imitation is likely to be based on ancient mechanisms

You will have to have access to the full article to read more.

Essentially , this confirms what most keepers have known for a long time about the learning strategies and learning ability of captive / pet bearded dragons . They are not dumb as bricks and not entirely driven by instinct and some are "smarter" than others.

Aside this is also applicable to monitors , geckos, and skinks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I recall reading this (or similar) a while back. I know it's about them imitating eachother, but I've since tried repeating actions and trying to teach Darwin by getting him to imitate me. Not much luck so far :lol:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
claudiusx":1u1ll7hc said:
I have a funny mental image in my head now :lol:

-Brandon

It's probably pretty accurate. Things like trying to teach him that he can rub his face sheds on the (relatively rough) carpet. And sticking his tongue out to get some water :lol:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
CooperDragon":3q4znd5q said:
claudiusx":3q4znd5q said:
I have a funny mental image in my head now :lol:

-Brandon

It's probably pretty accurate. Things like trying to teach him that he can rub his face sheds on the (relatively rough) carpet. And sticking his tongue out to get some water :lol:

Hahaha that literally made me laugh.
Oh the silly things we will do for our dragons LOL.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom