Preferred Basking Spot vs. Hot Basking Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I've noticed that Figment doesn't like to use his hottest basking spot much; he'll go up there occasionally, but generally likes to chill out on a lower perch, or even under his UV bulb instead. Should I be worried that he's not taking advantage of the optimum temperatures? His hot spot is usually around 100, his preferred spot is 94ish (hard to measure because I'd have to move the lamp to take off the lid). I'm actually thinking of getting a higher wattage bulb, since the 75watt doesn't seem to be doing the trick... can't get the hot spot above 100... but Figment has the ability to choose his spot, and he chooses that cooler spot. Should I just trust him?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They tend to be pretty good about picking where they want to be.
Sometimes it's not even about preferred temperature. Sometimes they just like a surface more than another. Whether it supports them better or whatever it might be.

They will spend the amount of time they need to at whichever spot they choose. The key is offering them choices and gradients. So as long as he has options, I wouldnt worry.

-Brandon

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
claudiusx":buo7dxj0 said:
They tend to be pretty good about picking where they want to be.
Sometimes it's not even about preferred temperature. Sometimes they just like a surface more than another. Whether it supports them better or whatever it might be.

They will spend the amount of time they need to at whichever spot they choose. The key is offering them choices and gradients. So as long as he has options, I wouldnt worry.

-Brandon
My beardie does that too.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
POBT for central bearded dragons is 36 degC .

One reason why they love snuggles on their pet humans , also explains your observation.

My gang like to bask at a spot I know is between 31 degC to 34 degC , they will spend hours each day there.
My tanks are very well instrumented , lots of digital probe style thermometers so I know at a glance the temperatures in my tanks.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ComicBookMama":nry94ggh said:
I've noticed that Figment doesn't like to use his hottest basking spot much; he'll go up there occasionally, but generally likes to chill out on a lower perch, or even under his UV bulb instead. Should I be worried that he's not taking advantage of the optimum temperatures? His hot spot is usually around 100, his preferred spot is 94ish (hard to measure because I'd have to move the lamp to take off the lid). I'm actually thinking of getting a higher wattage bulb, since the 75watt doesn't seem to be doing the trick... can't get the hot spot above 100... but Figment has the ability to choose his spot, and he chooses that cooler spot. Should I just trust him?

You need a few of these : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-LCD-Digital-Temperature-Thermometer-Outdoor-Reptile-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Meter/264431499789?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 and accurate ( good within 1 degC which is more than good enough for monitoring temperatures in a viv ).
So cheap you can afford to have four in the tank to monitor the temperatures continuously at 4 different places (including at the basking spot , either fixed to the surface = surface temperature & radiant temperatures , or dangling near the basking spot = air temperature & radiant temperature.

3 forms of heat transfer to a reptile
conduction via it's legs, tail and belly from a warm or cold surface
radiant heat transfer from an overhead basking globe or MVB or CHE or sun
convection via the flow of warm or cool air over it's body.

A surface mounted probe will give a measure conductive and radiant heating ( indicated by a surface temperature ).
A probe dangling in the air will give a measure of convective (air) temperature and radiant heating .

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, folks. I’ll pick up a few probes, and have asked for a better temp gun for my birthday, but I’ll also trust Figment to know where he needs to be. I just don’t want him to get cold!

-Chris

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
I’ve had the same worries with my baby, Walter. He seems to -prefer temperatures about 99, even though I offer him a variety of options at both higher and lower ranges, with varying amounts of UVB. Usually, they know what they need, and as long as Walter is acting normally, has normal poop. Is eating well, and not showing a black beard or too many stress marks, I try not to worry. I did get so anxious about Walter not picking hot enough basking spot that I moved all his lights around so he’d have higher temps at the place he basked at most, but he just picked a different spot! After that, I tried to trust that I’ve given him choices and should let him pick those choices as he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom