Question about Beardie behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To start off, I'm not exactly sure this pertains to behavior or more lighting issues so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum for that!

So I've had my Beardie since last Saturday, so it's been almost a week. Last night I set up my beardie's new light fixture with his new reptisun t5 10.0 uvb tube light since he had been using the coil lights before last night (the coil light came with the kit I bought). I did it while he was asleep because I didn't want to cause him stress by putting him into his temporary home.

So this morning the lights click on and he immediately runs to the cooler end of the tank, but still underneath the beam of the new uvb light. Before this he would perch on his basking perch for a while to warm up before moving to the cooler side. He's just been staying underneath the uvb light since the lights clicked on at 6 a.m.

Is he doing this because he's getting so much more uvb light now that he just wants to sit there and absorb as much as possible? He hasn't eaten anything yet and keeps giving me his side-eye so maybe he's just really annoyed that I moved things around in his tank while he was asleep?

I'm afraid of him getting seriously ill or that things aren't quite 100% correct in the tank and would love opinions

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He is absorbing the rays that he was not getting before --- and if you rearranged the tank decor that is probably effecting him as well --- he will get used to it - he will go to each light as needed- just keep an eye on him and his behavior --- his eating should pick up now -- the T 5 is 12-15 inches away ? And cover is off bulb?
Karrie

arcadia1216

Original Poster
With the light hanging inside the tank as it is, where he's been sitting is approximately 13 inches away from the bulb.

As I'm writing this he is staying on his basking perch which is a little back from the uvb light (so basically I have his basking light in front of his uvb light, my reasoning is he can bask and get warm without getting too too much uvb because his basking perch is only ~11 inches away from the light and his perch isn't in the uvb light's path; if that's wrong please correct me)

I do have a reflector on the fixture currently but it can be easily slid off if needed; I thought i shouldn't have it off if the fixure is sitting inside his tank (but again if that's wrong please correct me haha)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would think it is fine -- so hes getting both at the same time? correct -- you should be good --- I am sure you will notice a difference in his behavior
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At 13 inches you want the reflector.
Your distances are fine how they are right now.

-Brandon

arcadia1216

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

He's definitely looking more perky and active. It's kind of crazy how a light change can affect all of this haha. Now just to wait on him to start scarfing down his food!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
He likely noticed immediately how much brighter the t5 tube was than the coil, and was a spooked by it .

My observation is skinks and dragons are pretty good at noticing changes right away.

He'll be fine , just make sure to get the tube in the reflector the correct distance from his basking spot so he gets the right levels of UVA and UVB when basking.

arcadia1216

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I got home from work today and Dinraal is really running around his tank! He's also shedding down his entire tail and I feel bad for laughing but he looks so silly with a long piece of tail skin just hanging on; it looks like he has an extra leg xD

He was extra hungry when I fed him and he was even wiggling around when I picked him up for his evening handling session (he usually just sits there still as I pet and talk to him) so I guess he's getting his energy back!

arcadia1216

Original Poster
Hey all, I just have a question right quick about the t5 reptisun 10.0 light I'm using and Dinraal's behavior with the light.

Someone asked a few posts ago if the plastic cover was off of the bulb and I checked the light just now and it feels like there is no plastic cover on the bulb? Do the reptisun bulbs even come with plastic covers on them, or is the plastic cover actually the reflector?

I'm just asking because I'm still convinced Dinraal isn't acting like he should be; it'll be a week that I've had him tomorrow and he still isn't eating a whole lot (he only ate about 12 of the small BSFL I gave him tonight before he refused to even look at them, and this morning he nibbled a bit of collard green.

Now, granted I have been kind of rearranging things in his tank a lot this week from mounting his light against the tank, cleaning up his poos and uneaten food and generally just being a nosy first time Beardie owner/new reptile mom so he could just be really over me at the moment.

I'm sure his lighting is good now; he has his basking light with his perch a little ways away from the uvb light but he can also easily access his uvb light. His basking perch typically stays around 105-ish and the other side is 80-81 degrees (although he hardly goes over there unless it's for a split second of frantic running around). He's been basking a lot and I'll see him just sitting underneath his uvb with his eyes closed. He seems very alert and active when the mood strikes him; otherwise he seems content to just lay on his perch and watch me and my husband and cat go about our daily lives haha.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if he's finally getting used to his tank home and getting out of his relocation stress. He finished his tail shedding and seems to be a little longer and bigger than he was a week ago. Everything SEEMS fine but like I said I'm a first time reptile owner and I'm just making absolutely sure I'm doing this correctly. I appreciate everyone's patience!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He's adjusting- the tube light should be exposed- my zoomed 24" fixture did not come w/ a cover over bulb-- he will go back and forth to each light as he needs - blaze does the samething-- basks w/ his eyes closed - are you feeding him 2 times per day-- ? And your feeding just bfsl? Or other insects as well--?
Karrie

arcadia1216

Original Poster
Right. I checked my tube light and it seems that there isn't a cover but I'll double check tomorrow when I spot clean.

I leave him his bowl of veggies all day and try and feed him once in the morning and once at night with varied results; yesterday he ate a lot in the morning and less at night and today he didn't eat anything at all in the morning and the BSFL at night. He's been getting roaches (I stopped feeding him the mealworms) and now the BSFL and he seems to like both, he's just not eating a whole lot of them.

I guess I'm just being overly paranoid haha this is just more complicated than taking care of cats or dogs or fish

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am sure his eating will pick up just make sure your giving him 2 hrs of basking before lights out---
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
To clear up the confusion above, the reptisun doesnt come with a plastic cover. The plastic cover being referred to is a plastic light diffuser that comes on some florescent fixtures to distribute the light more evenly.
You would know if your fixture has a plastic diffuser, as youd have to remove it to put the bulb in to begin with ;)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom