Sand "Surfing"

Status
Not open for further replies.

quildarling

Hello! I read in a screenshot from another thread that beardies sometimes "surf" on sand dunes in the wild to get down them. I can't find anything online to substantiate this claim. Does anyone have any links to videos or other references to them doing this?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't heard of this happening. While their native habitat is quite large, I don't think much of it (if any) includes areas with dunes. From what I've seen, a lot of it is scrub areas with tall grass, leaf litter, rock outcrops, and some trees. In the southern part of their habitat they are found hanging out in vineyards basking on the grape vines.

williamk34

Hatchling Member
In bearded dragons I have never heard of that sort of behavior in the wild that's more common with sand monitors and different species of snakes. I know sand monitors will do it as an ambush tactic they will use their powerful tails to shoot themselves out from the sand in Africa and ride down the sand dunes kind of like surfing but I have never actually heard it referred to as sand surfing.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
There are sand monitors [ goannas ] in Australia and there are desert monitors in Africa . Both live in sandy areas , as do many beardies but I'll have to search for a desert monitor in Africa surfing a dune !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom