Beardie suddenly very aggressive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, my 5 month old bearded dragon has been insainely aggressive all week. She eats fine and seems perfectly healthy but I cannot even out my hand in her cage to clean her poop as she will lunge at me and try to bite me. Sadly I do not handle her as much as I should as she has never been very nice, but normally I can pet her and pick her up short term no problem. Just a side not she is constantly glass surfing and looks very stressed. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated I just want a nice beardie :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It has to do w/ lighting in the tank ------------please post pics of the tank and lighting? Do you have any colored bulbs in the tank/ Nightlights? What are her basking temps and how are you taking them? Once we see what is going on w/ the tank we can better help
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/click on XIMG on top of message box and post
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
OTTOMH, aside from the lighting & temp issues Karrie mentioned, I can think of a few more possibilities.

• 1. Teenager. Hormonal forces could be at work; adolescent dragons can & do act out like other species of animals.
    2. Cage too small? How big is it? 75-120 gal. are recommended; I'm in the camp of "as large as you can afford". YMMV.
    3. Your angle of approach? It's possible she sees your hand (depending on the angle & manner of approach) as a predator, and she's taking a defensive posture. I've heard/read about this even with semi-tame dragons.
    4. Apart from aforesaid hormones, she just may not be feeling well. It could be parasites, a viral or bacterial infection, or something else. I know you said appetite's good, and she seems healthy. Are you monitoring weight as well?
Exhibiting signs of stress are an indicator something is amiss. We just have to solve the mystery. :wink:

JacobsDragons01

Original Poster
Thanks all for the info I will post pictures when I get out of work later tonight. Her basking temps are around 90 and her cold side is 75-80. She's in a pretty large tank I beleave it's a 75 breeder she's getting an upgrade soon I got three lights, one basking one UVB and one extra heat and UVB light. I have no night light

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
JacobsDragons01":v3hn8xez said:
Her basking temps are around 90 and her cold side is 75-80.
AFAIK, that's too low for a basking site temp (and BTW, how are you measuring it?) Basking site temp should be 95-110 (higher side for juvies). Your cool side is a bit on the cools side as well--85°±

Not saying that is the problem, but it could be--or it could be a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom