Beardie likes to fall asleep on me

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Muffin797":37pu8tdd said:
Does that mean she likes me?
Lets say it means she doesn't think you're going to eat her.

There's a tendency for people to anthropomorphize animals--maybe too much in some cases. There are articles/videos on the web on (paraphrasing) "How to tell if your beardie likes you," but... Lizards--including BDs--have pretty simple brains; I'm not sure they're really capable of any emotions beyond simple instinctive ones like fear, aggression, etc., even though it may appear so.

Google: how do reptiles think?

YMMV

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Why wouldn't she like you, you give her her wormies right? :D
They definitely wont fall asleep if they dont feel comfortable around you. :)

-Brandon

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Short answer- I believe so. Longer answer...

I think it's a matter of semantics & agree with MrSpectrum that we tend to attribute pet behaviors to human ones perhaps a bit more than is warranted. That said, like and dislike are fairly basic concepts of selection that I believe most creatures are capable of, including reptiles. If you'd asked about her loving you, that's a different story because of how complex that topic is (been there, done that, bought many, many t-shirts! :lol: )

My beardies have a preference for hornworms over crickets, so I'd say they 'like' them better. My one beardie will walk the length of the couch to curl up on me at night even if my wife is closer, so he 'likes' to sleep on me vs her, the arm of the couch, the floor, etc. Assuming that my wife and I both put out about the same amount of heat, provide the same predator protection, feed and treat him the same, and aren't putting off decidedly different scents, you might be temped to say he likes me better than her. My wife, of course, disagrees wholeheartedly, but that's her problem :lol:

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Aaradimian":1z6g633k said:
Assuming that my wife and I both put out about the same amount of heat, provide the same predator protection, feed and treat him the same, and aren't putting off decidedly different scents

It's not worth arguing, or even getting into, but I could make a case against each of those assumptions. :lol:

Your "like" analogy is pretty good though... :wink:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
MrSpectrum":3d6qv4nx said:
Aaradimian":3d6qv4nx said:
Assuming that my wife and I both put out about the same amount of heat, provide the same predator protection, feed and treat him the same, and aren't putting off decidedly different scents

It's not worth arguing, or even getting into, but I could make a case against each of those assumptions. :lol:

Your "like" analogy is pretty good though... :wink:

You talk all hard now. Just wait till you get your little guy or girl. You'll be worse than all of us! :laughing6:

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":38v9j8fz said:
You talk all hard now. Just wait till you get your little guy or girl. You'll be worse than all of us! :laughing6:
Do I? This software needs a smilie with tongue firmly implanted in cheek. :roll:

It's supposed to be a little guy; DW has already made it clear that unlike the dog, the lizard is strictly MY problem, and I'm not equipped to handle all that "female stuff" like infertile eggs... :bleick:

You're probably right. :oops:

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
MrSpectrum":3kqtkgyt said:

Well, I like a good back & forth, but you're right that it's probably not worth the effort. Besides, I know my beardie likes me better than her, irrespective of the instinctual or willful motivations underlying his oh-so-cute behavior :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom