Juvenile sudden aggression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieT

Hey y’all, we rescued a juvenile bearded dragon about a month ago (no clue about his age, looks to be 4-6 months old) from a guy who had him in bad living conditions, he just didn’t know anything about them. Regardless he was super sweet for about a month till this week. As soon as I stick my hand in his cage he flips out and either tries to run away or fluffs and immediately has his mouth open to try and bite me. He has bit me a few times, however it’s pretty easy to get him out and force socialize him. Any reason to this sudden aggression? As soon as I put my hand up to the glass he jumps back, fluffs and opens his mouth. We have 3 other adult beardies and two other juveniles around the same age and none of them act like this, they’re sweet as pie. Just wondering what may have caused this. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Has seen the other dragons ? Is he close to them? What kind of lighting do you have in his tank ? Is he w/ another dragon ?
Karrie

BeardieT

Original Poster
KarrieRee":tts6zm37 said:
Has seen the other dragons ? Is he close to them? What kind of lighting do you have in his tank ? Is he w/ another dragon ?
Karrie
He can see one other dragon in a tank next to him, although she is perfectly fine. Not housed with another dragon either. Lighting is a 50W basking bulb with a reprising T5

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What are her basking temps? and how are you taking them? And where is the T 5 on top of screen or in tank ? It might be the other dragon causing the aggression - you could try putting up some sort of block so she cant see the other dragon to see if her behavior doesnt change
Karrie

BeardieT

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1al3jblb said:
What are her basking temps? and how are you taking them? And where is the T 5 on top of screen or in tank ? It might be the other dragon causing the aggression - you could try putting up some sort of block so she cant see the other dragon to see if her behavior doesnt change
Karrie
105 Fahrenheit. T5 is on top of screen. Also the aggressive dragon is a male and the other non-aggressive dragon is a female.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BeardieT":140ern5j said:
KarrieRee":140ern5j said:
Karrie
He can see one other dragon in a tank next to him, although she is perfectly fine. Not housed with another dragon either. Lighting is a 50W basking bulb with a reprising T5

My advise is , place a view blocker between the two tanks if they are next to each other so the male can't see the female all the time
OR
set up a threadbar based shelving system so you can stack one tank above the other.
st-ACK-VIVS-USING-THREADBAR.png

Requirements :
4 x M20 galvanized threadbars of suitable length
2 x pieces of 3/4inch thick plywood each with 4 holes drilled to slip threadbar through
16 galvanized M20 nuts
16 galvanized M20 washers

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I was going to say basically the same thing - him seeing the female all the time might have made him more aggressive --- block his view from her
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
BeardieT":t63qsv1a said:
Just wondering what may have caused this.
I think they're called "hormones" :D

Sounds kinda like a teenager/adolescent, eh? Other animals go through this; it wouldn't surprise me if reptiles did as well, though I don't find anything on Google (yet).

I agree with blocking the view from the female. I don't know if the male can tell a female from sight, but maybe he can smell her as well? He may just see another dragon, and territorial instincts are aroused. It appears to be some kind of arousal... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom