Lazy in tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notta

Most of the day my bearded dragon is lazy while inside of his tank. I think it may be because his basking log is getting small since hes growing like grass so I need a new one, and the rock he sits on lazily gets hot enough. Only issue im worried about is that the rock is too far from the uvb to really benefit, but his appetite is definitely there, and I give him a multivit / d3 combo during most feedings so he should be fine in that department. Anyway he acts lazy in the tank but as soon as I take him out hes as active could be, eyes go from half open and bored looking to wide open and energetic. Is this normal?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How far is the UVB from basking? What kind is it and the bulb?
Karrie

Notta

Original Poster
7 inches from the highest point of his basking spot, 9 inches over the hammock that he spends a lot of time on, and like 12 from his rock hide thing. zoo med reptisun 10.0 22 in( https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26061-Reptisun-Fluorescent/dp/B00AQU8HAO/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_199_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9EFKW5NJXFF4GH2960ZS ). The highest point of his basking spot gets to 115, about an inch lower is 107-110. hes around 4 months old, 14 inches long. I think the problem is that his basking stick log thing is super small compared to him now. Ive had the uvb bulb for a bit under 3 months now, got it mid june, so it should be fine, and his appetite is crazy huge. Think he just may be bored in his tank? first time beardie owner so I havnt fully figured them out.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
7 inches is a bit close for a t5, unless it's mounted on top of the screen.

How big is his tank? If he's outgrowing his decorations, it might be time for some upgrades! :D I'm sure he would appreciate a larger basking surface if it's too small for him now.

How do his urates look? It sounds a bit hot in his tank, so he could potentially be a little dehydrated, but maybe not.

Sometimes this behavior isn't a sign of anything wrong though, it's just how the dragon is choosing to act. But it's always good to double check everything to make sure. :)

-Brandon

Notta

Original Poster
its mounted on top of the tank, its a 40 gallon breeder with a 50 watt basking bulb and according to the temp guns the temperature at the cool end is the nearly perfect for what it should be. I just got him a log today, much bigger than his branch thing. Its funny because I put the branch on the other end of the tank for decoration, and hes still hesitant to climb onto his new log so hes just sitting on top of his old stick in the cool end of his tank. should I just take it out and free up some space?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He will get used to it -- they are all hesitant w/ new stuff in the tank - I put a fake plant in Hiccups tank and he sat and stared at it for a week or so expecting it to move I think - he now will go and sleep under it :)
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom