stop eating insects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner

My beardie is bout 9 mouths old . It's lighting and cage has been checked and is fine . Everything was going fine for 8 mouths are so until about a week ago. She has stopped eating her insects which is crickets and super worms . She poops everyday so I know she is eating her greens . She seems very nervous at times and is a lot more active than she was before this sudden behavior change . She is not even acting like the same dragon . She even acts like she is scared of the super worms and she loved to eat super worms . She is 14" long and seems very healthy .She doesn't seem like she wants me to pet are hold her but when I do get her out she seems just fine . Please help . Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Lighting has everything to do w/ their behavior and eating----------- you say your lighting is fine please tell us what you have for lighting? Brand and bulb please and where is it in tank or on top of screen? What are your basking temps and how are you taking them?
Karrie

Runner

Original Poster
thanks for your reply so soon . I have a reptisun 24 watt 22'' 10.0 uvb high output and it's on the inside. I measure the temperature with a infrared thermometer . Basking temp is 105 .cool side 85 . I montour the temp regularly because I am retired and usually at home . the 22" light runs the full length across the top fo cage

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So it's the T 5-- how far in tank from basking area? It should be 10 - 11 inches or so- odd behavior-- just to stop eating- and it's been to.long for relocation stress-- not sure unless that UVB is to far from basking spot-- is cover off bulb?
Karrie

Runner

Original Poster
thanks again . the bulb is 10.5 " from the basking spot . the clear plastic cover that came with the bulb is still on the light fixture . she seems to be real nervous and doesn't want me around her . tries to climb the walls and not laid back like she was a couple of weeks ago.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
the cover needs to come off the bulb - take it off and see if her behavior does not change- we will haft to go from there and see what happens-- you dont have any colored bulbs in the tank or on the tank do you? ok so I just noticed you have the UVB running the whole length of tank ? that could be it -- they need to be able to get away from the UVB --- that would explain the climbing walls --- and the sudden behavior change--- I have a 120 gallon tank which is a 4x2x2 and my UVB is only 24" -- its the Arcadia 14% and its in the tank and approx 13" from basking area-- so Hiccup can get away from the UVB if he wants to --- I will let some others weigh in on that bulb and length
Karrie

Runner

Original Poster
i'll take the plastic cover off the fixture . It's the one that came with it . . I don't have any colored bulbs . the back wall has a large hide that she can get in to escape the uv lights . lights have a timer from 6;30 am until 8:30 pm . she sleeps in the hide at night but during the day she likes to bask almost all the time . this is the same tank that I raise her in every since I had her . Seems so strange to me that she start this strange behavior all of the sudden . Thanks for all your help . do you recommend that I block off the light one side so she can get away from the uv light ?
and if so how do you recommend doing that ??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Maybe try covering half w/ a dish towel or something and see what she does-- watch her behavior and see if that makes a difference- she's pretty young I think for hormonal like being egg bound- is she digging or just climbing walls?
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Superworms can bite . There is a chance one her worms bit her back and gave her a fright.

This is why I squash the heads of bitey insects like superworms and crickets ( larger adult ones ).

Swap her over to another species of insect for a few weeks and let her get over her fear of the supers, then you can reintroduce them into her diet , TREATS ONLY , NEVER AS A STAPLE.

SPandS

Juvie Member
What size is the tank she's in? Just curious because you say the 22" reptisun runs the full length of the tank. It seems a bit small but maybe the other dimensions are bigger than I'm thinking. A small tank wouldn't cause her to act the way she is but it can be a bit harder to provide the proper heat and uv gradients required for a healthy dragon. I just want to make sure everything is ok with the set up just to possibly rule things out with what's causing her to act the way she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom