5 month old normal beardie behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I just got my first bearded dragon! I've had her since Friday, August 2nd.

It is currently monday, August 5th.

Just starting out, I've done a ton of research, some things say do this some things say dont do it. I'm trying to get little more info specific to my beardie! I believe it is a she, but unsure at this time! But, she is 8 inches long from head to tail. She doesn't seem to interested in veggies or fruits. Parsley is a big thing she likes and will eat it out of my hand! She eats crickets but nowhere near the amount people suggest they would eat (20ish). She eats about 5-10. I read online that "surfing" could be her way of saying I'm bored let me out or that something is wrong within the enclosure. I've handled her quite often as she doesn't seem to mind. Is there a recommend amount of time I should be handling her? I've seen suggestions to leave her for 4 days to get acclimated to new home. My biggest concern is the stress marks on her belly, I read that they should go away in a week or two, but I am going to post here just to make sure my enclosure is set up okay enough for her to NOT be stressed or if there is anything I can do to help her be less stressed? I noticed this morning the Mark's on her belly were gone until she actually woke up and started moving around. Is it normal for them to go away during sleep? I've tried a couple things since I have got her for "sleep time" I tried the nighttime light but she seems to remain active because there is that light on, so I turn the light off and cover the enclosure with a blanket to ensure darkness and it seems to work. Could covering the enclosure stress her out even more? I've also tried without the blanket covering the enclosure and no lights but she remains a bit active. When I say active, i mean she looks around and wanders the enclosure(not continually, but over the course of an hour she just seemed restless until I put the blanket over the enclosure. Her hind legs sometimes seem as if they are limp but she utilizes them every day! Also she closes her left eye pretty regularly just for a short duration then opens it again. Is this normal behavior? Is there anything more that I could do to help acclimate her to the home? I appreciate any and all responses, will take any tips and tricks. I'm looking to house a happy, healthy beardy!

Photos below!

105585-2777525941.jpg

105585-3663568585.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First no nite lite --- they like darkness and I would not cover the tank --- I have never covered my tank and I dont know of anyone else doing this--- second what kind of UVB are you using brand and bulb please -- and whats in the dome for lights?
Second shes doing good - for the handling etc--- and the eating of the parsley already is good too - ratio for food is 80% bugs and 20% vegies --- fruit will come in time -- all bugs need to be dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and 2 x per week vitamins-- here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
feed her as many bugs as she will eat in a 10-15 minute time frame - do not leave the bugs in the tank -- especially crickets they tend to bite and can cause infection --
the way the UVB is set up she needs to be able to sit directly under it - and it needs to be in the tank - I dont know what kind or bulb it is so until then I cant help you w/ distance --- as soon as you let us know we can help you- the dragging of the back legs is not good - that would be calcium deficiency or the start of MBD--- where did you get her? the closing of the eye is normal - mine does it alot and hes 18 months old - its usually a sign of focusing in on something-- you can take a piece of clothing or fleece blanket something w/ your smell on it and put it in her hide and she will get used to your smell - hand feeding her will also help her adjust to you and get her more trusting of you-- the UVB is going to help w/ MBD -- so please let us know what brand and bulb it is
Karrie

AustinwiththebeardY

Original Poster
KarrieRee":12j1aiek said:
First no nite lite --- they like darkness and I would not cover the tank --- I have never covered my tank and I dont know of anyone else doing this--- second what kind of UVB are you using brand and bulb please -- and whats in the dome for lights?
Second shes doing good - for the handling etc--- and the eating of the parsley already is good too - ratio for food is 80% bugs and 20% vegies --- fruit will come in time -- all bugs need to be dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and 2 x per week vitamins-- here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
feed her as many bugs as she will eat in a 10-15 minute time frame - do not leave the bugs in the tank -- especially crickets they tend to bite and can cause infection --
the way the UVB is set up she needs to be able to sit directly under it - and it needs to be in the tank - I dont know what kind or bulb it is so until then I cant help you w/ distance --- as soon as you let us know we can help you- the dragging of the back legs is not good - that would be calcium deficiency or the start of MBD--- where did you get her? the closing of the eye is normal - mine does it alot and hes 18 months old - its usually a sign of focusing in on something-- you can take a piece of clothing or fleece blanket something w/ your smell on it and put it in her hide and she will get used to your smell - hand feeding her will also help her adjust to you and get her more trusting of you-- the UVB is going to help w/ MBD -- so please let us know what brand and bulb it is
Karrie

Karrie, thank you for the quick reply, the uvb is a reptisun 5.0 that came with enclosure setup. the dome light is a basking light that came with the "bearded dragon 20 gallon kit" During research, everyone is suggesting the reptisun 10.0 which I will be acquiring this week. Also, she doesn't drag her legs, just when she rests she lets them be limp?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
ok thats normal on the legs -- they tend to do the sexy leg thing alot---- they are relaxed--- good the 10.0 bulb will be better for her UVB - the 5.0 is more for tropical tanks and not as strong - so I am guessing its gonna be a T 8 bulb how big is the fixture ? is it a 18 inch? if it is you want it inside the tank and approx 6-8 inches from her basking spot -- you want her to be able to sit directly under it w/ the cover off the bulb ------------ best UVB rays exposure! The 20 gallon tank will not be adequate for her for long-- she will quickly out grow it so you need to start thinking big --- a 40 gallon will only last so long as well --- it will work but its not the best for a adult size dragon -- you can look at building your own if your a carpenter there are ideas on the DIY board on the forum or you can look at getting a tank used like FB marketplace your area - or you can look at getting a new one from other places - you can try and find one used like a 75 gallon but I recommend what you get is one w/ doors that open from the front --- the screens are pain when you haft to get into the tank - also if you get a tank from anyone used make sure you disinfect it really good like w/ some F 10 cleaner - I had to order mine on line but it will kill anything thats in the tank - there are places on line that sell tanks - I got mine from www.zenhabitats.com -- there is www.carolinacages.com and then you can also search google as well -- the enclosure board has some websites listed as well for tank
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom