Unusual Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerrod

I have a juvenile beardie he was eating fine but lately he does not seem to be interested in his food. He is still active and moves around fine. Lately it seems like he wants nothing to do with me or anyone. Today I took him outside which I have done before and he took off running. I caught him and he puffed up and opened his mouth and was trying to bite me. I understand I probably scared him but his behavior is getting unusual as he was always relaxed when we handled him but now he seems to want to avoid me. Does anyone know what could be causing the unusual behavior?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The UVB what brand and bulb do you have in the tank ? Where is it at on top of screen or inside the tank ?
Karrie

Jerrod

Original Poster
KarrieRee":37cd8fd0 said:
The UVB what brand and bulb do you have in the tank ? Where is it at on top of screen or inside the tank ?
Karrie

The brand is Reptisun 5.0 HO and on the inside.
104654-4476367007.jpg
104654-3254922955.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so bulb is good but next time you change it out get a 10.0-- they are stronger- the bulb you have now is more for tropical- how far is it from basking it should be 6-8 inches-- how old is the bulb?
Karrie

Jerrod

Original Poster
KarrieRee":184hu2lk said:
Ok so bulb is good but next time you change it out get a 10.0-- they are stronger- the bulb you have now is more for tropical- how far is it from basking it should be 6-8 inches-- how old is the bulb?
Karrie
It is only about two months old and sits at 7" from the basking spot.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so what is the temp of the basking spot and how are you taking it? infrared gun stick on them ? probe?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so temp is good - I am baffled as to why he is not eating --- what are you feeding him? And as far as him and the outside deal I am sure you scared him--- thats why the flaring up etc.......... but him not eating and the lighting seems to be good - what about parasites? You can have a fecal done and see if he has parasites that often comes w/ not eating --- but w/ the lighting being good that might not be it either but I maybe would have one done just to rule it out -- I would call your reptile vet and inquire about dropping off a fecal for testing for your dragon find out how much they charge etc and go from there--- how long have you had him? And if his diet has been crickets it is possible he has parasites as they tend to give that and pin worms-- is he basking ?
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes it can be as simple as hes about to shed. They can get real emotional when they are shedding lol.
That might explain the lack of appetite too.

As for what happened outside, it's most likely just because he got scared from you chasing him, it's a natural response to puff up.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is in the dual dome above? Do you have a coil bulb in there?
Karrie

Jerrod

Original Poster
KarrieRee":cg7phit8 said:
What is in the dual dome above? Do you have a coil bulb in there?
Karrie
I feed him Dubias. He was eating about 60 in the 15 min time frame but for the last couple days he would eat ten and then be done. The bulbs up top 50w repti basking bulbs. It might be because he shedding but not sure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So there is 2? Yes could be going into a shec--- 60 dubias ? How big are they? When Hiccup was 8 months he would eat 12 at most but 60? No wonder he hasn't eaten that's ALOT :)
Karrie

Jerrod

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1x5n09dk said:
So there is 2? Yes could be going into a shec--- 60 dubias ? How big are they? When Hiccup was 8 months he would eat 12 at most but 60? No wonder he hasn't eaten that's ALOT :)
Karrie
yes there are two in there. the UVB is a Carolina custom that has a basking light in as well and it stays about 102 on that side. Should I remove that one? He still has the middle for the cool spot and the cave.I still have a bunch of smalls so that is what I still feeding him. And that is why I am so confused because he would eat so many before.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So your using 2 UVB's? Is it a coil? If it is I would remove it--- you could be over uvbing him and that would cause the behavior-- I would remove it and see if his behavior changes-
Karrie

Jerrod

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1k0xxmxg said:
So your using 2 UVB's? Is it a coil? If it is I would remove it--- you could be over uvbing him and that would cause the behavior-- I would remove it and see if his behavior changes-
Karrie
No there is only one UVB. I was referring to a basking bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom