Burmation? Need Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I have been giving this subject a lot of thought lately. Because Charlie seems to want to try his hand at it aparently, he's such a goof!
It is my understanding that, Burmation is a natural instinct that assures survival.
In the wild they tend to go into burmation as winter sets in and, food gets scarce. If they didn't, they would not fair to well.
Now unless I left something out, this is how I see it.

For mating and egg laying it takes 3 to 5 weeks for each clutch (sometimes up to 3 clutches) = .......1 month+ 1 week
For incubation periods of 6 to 12 weeks depending on the conditions (avg conditions 9 weeks) = 2 months + 1 week
That only leaves 8 1/2 months for a hatchling to survive and go into a 2 to 3 month burmation phase.
This is just my thoughts on this and if you do the math, it's a real tight schedule.

I would like to get some more input on it because am getting a bit concerned about my little brat.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Why does having a dragon make us over think things? I am constantly observing and, putting all these things together in my head.....wow!!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Perhaps thats why it seems to be more rare for a young dragon to show signs of brumation. They may be more active year round in the wild. The seasons in their habitat may not be as harsh all winter as we see in the US either so while food may be more scarce and temps may be lower than normal, it isn't likely as harsh as we see it in the US. Just a complete guess based on what I've read and observed over the years. Interesting discussion!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2wkme4t6 said:
Perhaps thats why it seems to be more rare for a young dragon to show signs of brumation. They may be more active year round in the wild. The seasons in their habitat may not be as harsh all winter as we see in the US either so while food may be more scarce and temps may be lower than normal, it isn't likely as harsh as we see it in the US. Just a complete guess based on what I've read and observed over the years. Interesting discussion!
Yes, from what I have read, it doesn't get all that cold, down there. This is what has me concerned.

He has been eating well and, my temps and, UVB are spot on but, he keeps hiding and, won't come out unless I move his hidi-hole. I guess he knows what he wants. Should I just let him do his thing? I have only had 2 dragons before him and, they never did this.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as he is maintaining his weight I'd let him be. If you take him out and interact with him a bit and he shows some alertness then he's probably OK. That's what Darwin does when he's slowing down (now). He wants to sleep a lot but if I take him out he'll interact for a while, just doesn't have as much gas in the tank as usual. During full brumation it's like he's on sleeping pills. Very groggy most of the time.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1vtk9p3p said:
As long as he is maintaining his weight I'd let him be. If you take him out and interact with him a bit and he shows some alertness then he's probably OK. That's what Darwin does when he's slowing down (now). He wants to sleep a lot but if I take him out he'll interact for a while, just doesn't have as much gas in the tank as usual. During full brumation it's like he's on sleeping pills. Very groggy most of the time.
Ok, just wasn't sure about how to proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom