Beardie still scared, info in the post

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie is still scared,

I've done hand feeding for 2 weeks. Though I usually leave my hand out of the tank after handing the food to him directly.

I've tried petting him while he's idle, but usually ends up hissing. I've read that I shouldn't stop when he hissed but he finally chomped me.

I can hold him up every now and then when he's chill. But when he's active he's really wary of me and I'm kinda worried he'll take this to adulthood.

Any tips on how can I make him used to me?

Stuffs that I did:
Petting while Idle -> result to hissing / chomping
Hand feeding -> he takes it but still wary of me on other occasions
Pick and Pet -> either hisses at then jump, or just jump away

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
2 months is still really young, sometimes it just takes awhile.

Honestly the methods you've used i've never had success with in the past. Only 1 thing has ever worked for me and it's what I do now with all my dragons.

I just grab them and hold them in my hands. No petting, no extra touching, I just hold them. Sometimes I will walk around with them, sometimes we just sit outside of their tanks.
Sometimes they try to get away, sometimes they puff, but a lot of times, even if they aren't tame at all, they will at least tolerate being held, if nothing else is happening.

I will hold them for a bit, and I will only put them back if they are calm in my hand. I don't put them back if they start squirming again. I'm trying to teach them they can be calm around me, and be trusting. When you hold them for awhile, and they realize nothing bad comes of it, eventually they will begin to tolerate it. And eventually they might even start to like it.

It all takes time, and since you haven't had much success with the other options you've tried, perhaps you can try what I do. The hardest part of it is picking them up, especially if they are prone to mouth at you or try to chomp ya!

-Brandon

tetriminoss

Original Poster
claudiusx":hnyhos6m said:
2 months is still really young, sometimes it just takes awhile.

Honestly the methods you've used i've never had success with in the past. Only 1 thing has ever worked for me and it's what I do now with all my dragons.

I just grab them and hold them in my hands. No petting, no extra touching, I just hold them. Sometimes I will walk around with them, sometimes we just sit outside of their tanks.
Sometimes they try to get away, sometimes they puff, but a lot of times, even if they aren't tame at all, they will at least tolerate being held, if nothing else is happening.

I will hold them for a bit, and I will only put them back if they are calm in my hand. I don't put them back if they start squirming again. I'm trying to teach them they can be calm around me, and be trusting. When you hold them for awhile, and they realize nothing bad comes of it, eventually they will begin to tolerate it. And eventually they might even start to like it.

It all takes time, and since you haven't had much success with the other options you've tried, perhaps you can try what I do. The hardest part of it is picking them up, especially if they are prone to mouth at you or try to chomp ya!

-Brandon

Will try that! Thanks for the info

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Have you put a blanket or piece of clothing in his hide to get used to your smell ?
Karrie

tetriminoss

Original Poster
here's the latest pic:
J8BqG6g.jpg

tetriminoss

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2keqdwq5 said:
Have you put a blanket or piece of clothing in his hide to get used to your smell ?
Karrie

He doesn't sleep in the same place, he sleeps here and there and never on the cave that I've put. But I'll try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom