Baby beardie scared of me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve had my baby beardie for a couple weeks now and right now I’m away from home but I could really use some tips on getting him more comfortable with me. When I try to get him out of his enclosure he absolutely freaks out to the point where I need to move the things in the enclosure out to get to him. I’m not sure if I should just leave him on his own for a bit or does anybody have any tips for when I go back home to try and get him more comfortable with me?
I also got him during him shedding so I’m not sure if that could have something to do with it but I’m not sure how long the shed lasts

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Its called relocation stress --- and hes young-- start off w/ putting your hand the in the tank slowly approach him / her from the side and pet him --- you can put a soft piece of cloth in his hide like fleece or clothing something w/ your smell -- that will also get him used to you -- try hand feeding him -- where did you get your little one from ? Can you post pics of your tank and lighting so we can give tips on his husbandry --
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Give the little hatchling some time to settle in to it's new environment , tank, feeding schedule and to observe you while you are spot cleaning , replacing water, and leaving worms (BSFL or blowfly gents or silkworms) or bugs (crickets , roaches , or locusts ( a few at a time ) in it it's tank.

If it backs off , take the hint and give it the space it needs. It needs to learn you are not going to hurt it and then it'll start learning to trust you and will start being more relaxed with interactions with you.

It'll soon learn you are the food and water provider and you are the one who removes those smelly objects too.

I'd keep handling to a minimum for now, only handle (pick it up) when you have no choice and then only for a few minutes.
I find that if you have some yummy worms or insects , I'd take an opportunity to offer it some food by hand while it's sitting on your lap, tummy or chest and you have the left wrist gently resting on the bottom half of it's tail (this will help discourage it from moving , suddenly leaping off and running off), but be warned , hatchlings have only two speeds , stopped and warp 10 , so be ready to use the right hand as a barrier to obstruct it from leaping or running off (works until they learn they can push under it or simply climb over it).

They soon discover their human's body and hands are a lovely temperature (very close to the preferred operating body temperature for a dragon (36 deg C) and then they start enjoying snuggles.

Spend some time each day chilling next to the hatchlings tank doing quiet calm things and talking calmly and quietly to the hatchling , this will help it learn your voice and learn about you.

Have fun learning about your new spikey 4 legged reptilian child. It's a wonderous adventure and before you know it you'll have a dragon who'll enjoy your company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom