Bearded dragon depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunasalix

I adopted Spyro from a girl who had no idea how to care for him about 2 years ago. He was in rough shape, having multiple seizures per day with kinks in his tail and small calcified knots on his spine and ribs. The vet confirmed that he has permanent brain damage from the ordeal, although he's otherwise healthy now.

He's super sweet and loves to watch TV, take naps on the couch with me in the evenings, going for walks on his leash outside, and coming out to run around the house during the day. The issue is that he is only like that when my boyfriend or I are home for at least a few full days per week. If we are both gone at work for the majority of his waking hours and only able to interact with him in the evenings, he goes into a sort of depression.

He stops eating, darkens, and becomes extremely lethargic, hiding in the coldest corner of his enclosure. I'm a teacher and my boyfriend works in landscaping, so at times, we are both working 6 days per week for 10 or more hours per day for weeks on end. This last round before the school year ended, Spyro started loosing weight and showing early warning signs of MBD. Since I've been home for the last 2 weeks, he took a couple of days to "wake up", but has since been eating well and extremely active. The small muscle twitches in his hind leg have already disappeared.

What can I do for him when school starts back in August and I am away for most of the day again? I don't want him to get sick.

Husbandry Details:
Basking Temp: 109 F
Cool Side: 75 F
Lighting: Currently using 100 watt mercury vapor bulb on vet's advice, previously used 100 watt basking lamp and 24in Reptisun 10.0 which I may return to
Substrate: Terra cota tile on bottom level, cured and sand-grouted styrofoam to form upper level
Humidity: 50-60%
Diet: Mustard and dandelion greens with yellow squash and carrots as the base diet and dubia roaches and/or superworms once per week; occasionally fed spring mix greens, zucchini, strawberries, blueberries, snap peas, cauliflower, broccoli, watermelon, and Fluker's Buffet Blend on rotation to mix things up
Supplements: Insects dusted with Rep-Cal and Herptivite, salad supplemented with small amount of organic red palm oil and sprayed with Zilla calcium supplement spray daily, and salad lightly dusted with Bene-Bac Plus twice weekly
Enclosure: 4'w x 2'd x 3'h with tile on the lower level, a set of stairs, basking spot, ledge, and cave made of sand-grouted styrofoam, and decorated with silk and plastic plants
48020249216_e5ce7aff6e_b.jpg

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Well, there are several posters on the board who are teachers and take theirs to class. I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, it's great to get kids to understand that reptiles can also make great pets when properly cared for, but there's a beardie safety issue too. Some kids might be inclined to do bad things to him out of peer pressure or malice, and even in the best cases, accidents can happen if the students are allowed to handle him.

If you can reasonably ensure Spyro's safety with a locked viv. that cannot easily be rocked/tipped over, adult supervision, and of course all the normal stuff beardies need like correct lighting, temp, UV, and a hide so that he can get away from the action if needed, this might be an option.

lunasalix

Original Poster
Interesting idea. The kids desperately wanted to meet him last year, but I was so worried about his regular lethargy that I didn't want to stress him out. I teach a high school science class, so it shouldn't be hard to convince admin to let him visit on a regular basis and the kids are mature enough to be trusted (even so, I'll get a locking enclosure).

I could use all the supplies I have from his old enclosure to outfit a second one. Right now, it's all just set up in the living room for him to use when he's out running around. I might test it out in August and see how he does, but I'm still glad to consider other suggestions people may have. My dad suggested getting him a small TV to watch during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom