Behavior, Appetite / New Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i got a new bearded dragon on 5-18-19. When i purchase the beardie the owner sold me a light (claimed to be UVB and Basking together) with a 10 gallon tank and at this point i and very little knowledge to bearded dragons. So i went home, started building her a larger cage and doing research. I noticed she was not eating as much as the website says she or he should so this got me worried considering how many issues could come into play. So i made a vet appointment, now i live in a very small town so we have no EXPERTS but she said that she had a couple customers with beardies. The vet said that she seems to look healthy and weighs in a 91 grams,(couldnt tell me age) sent me home with a sheet of stuff to do and to not do (which i already researched). So essentially got no answers, i actually i taught her some things. I have listed below my experiences so far and am really looking for answers.. Please help! I originally posted a long message and decided to break it into categories because I think my chances for receiving answers will be much greater. (See my first post if you would like to read it all!

Behavior:
Originally she was eating only moving insects and i dont think it was as much as she should have been.. She hasnt been very active but i have been super busy with the cage and work but still manage to handle and feed her daily. Her cage is only 10 gallon right now so she isnt in a huge space. She isnt aggressive at all.. i have only seen her beard twice and it was loud noise scared her.. She does explore a little.. She mainly just hangs out and stares at me..

Lately she hasnt been eating much, a few worms and crickets then just closes her eyes.. Originally i thought she was just getting used to her new environment and all the changes but ive been worried. I mean when i say i have been doing research i mean like everyday and even fall asleep scrolling through forums and data sheets. When i figured out today she is not getting UVB i thought maybe this was answers to a lot but im unsure and worried a little more now with the lack of UVB and diet. She does get bathed every day and try to clean the poop anytime i see it. Her poop is a little runny with white and she has gone like 4 maybe 5 times over the last week.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Their appetites fluctuate and can be affected by things like shedding or just where they are in the growth cycle. As long as she is still alert and isn't losing weight she is probably fine. It's quite likely she is still getting used to all of the changes as well. In a tank as small as a 10g, it will be difficult to maintain a good heat gradient but the T8 you picked up should be just about right for a tank like that. One thing I forgot to mention in the other thread is that if the fixture has a clear plastic cover over the front of the bulb, that should be removed because it will intercept UVB.

skylaramanda21

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply!! I have noticed a huge difference the last 48 hours normally she is very chill and sluggish (doesnt roam much)

As of now she wants to roam everywhere and is eating a bit more.. Veggiess still are ignored.. lol

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good to hear. Don't worry much about the veges. Make them available so they're familiar but she may not want them much until she's older and that's OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom