leash training and training to go out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have a big, beautiful backyard with lots of sunshine but way too many places for Torrin to hide in. So naturally, I am trying to get her accustomed to her leash so she can explore outside. Any tips? When do I back off and take the leash off her (what behaviors should I look for her to exhibit?)? How long do I leave it on her? Do I need to try putting it on her more than once per day? What things do I want to avoid doing that would inhibit her learning to accept the leash? She definitely is not a fan of it and will try to rub it off any way she can. She will even start puffing up momentarily and opening her mouth in annoyance, rub her chest and the leash along the ground, then calm down, explore some, and repeat . . . I never touch the leash aside from getting it on her (which can be very hard sometimes) and let her explore according to her own will when it's on.

Aside from this, what are some tips for getting her used to being in public places? She's really good with new people so far but how should I prepare her for being around more people in public places?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You may want to try a hip leash instead of a chest leash. I've had better luck with those (although still not their favorite). They tend to fit a little bit better and be less intrusive. I don't always use them when outside though. They don't tend to dart off as quickly when they are older (but this varies). I like to bring my guy outside and just sit with him on my lap and he'll bask. Sometimes I'll sit in the grass and have him right next to me but I don't let him go farther than my reach on his own and I'm always looking out for hawks and eagles and for what he is trying to eat. He doesn't go outside during lightning bug season either since one chomp can be fatal. Start off slowly and try just sitting outside with her on your lap and see how she reacts. If she is comfortable then you may not need the leash. Do keep in mind that if something startles them, they can dart of VERY quickly. They can be much faster than you expect if they are afraid of something so it's good to take time and make sure they're comfortable and feel safe around you. After a while they'll wind up darting toward you for safety instead of heading for the nearest bush or other cover area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom