Bearded Dragon Hyper and Crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciarangrant96

Hi, this is my first post on a forum site for bearded dragons as I am very fortunate to have amazing resources where I live in the form of patient vets and very experienced breeders. I have asked these people about the behaviour of my bearded dragon but everyone's still unsure, she's booked into the vet on the 16th of May, 19.
Anyway, on with the issue and some more information about her and her setup.

I love my little Oreo, her name is Orion (Ori for short) because she's a little hunter, she has just turned 1 year old and she's never had a single health problem since a slight outbreak of parasites when she was a baby. She's strong, happy, healthy and sooo spoiled.
Usually, she sits on one of her hammocks or sits all smiley under her light. Her poops are frequent at one every 3-4 days, firm with white urinate.
She gets 5-6 wood roaches every second day and is offered salads every day. All of her food is sprinkled in calcium and rarely she gets treats like silkworms, mealworms and super-worms. She's also a raspberry fiend.

Her tank is 1.2 metres long (4ft) and her substrate is Back2Nature paper pellets which are changed every 2 weeks.
Her temps:
Daytime:
Hot side: 33ºC 91ºf
Middle: 31ºC 87ºf
Basking spot(Dead centre): 45ºc 113ºf
Cold side: 26ºc 79ºf
Nighttime:
Hot side: 30ºc 85ºf
Middle: 28ºc 82ºf
Cold side: 23ºc 73ºf

The Issue:
Ori has been going crazy lately, 3 weeks ago she was shedding, and this is when I think the behaviour started but I didn't notice as she's always crazy during a shed.
I think possibly she is gravid but I'm not sure how long until I can feel the eggs and I'm worried I could just assume she's gravid without being aware of an obvious other issue that may seriously hurt her.
She's been running back and fourth like crazy, whacking at her UVB tube light glass surfing, climbing the walls and when she is let out she ventures quite a way in the house despite her always content to stay in the bedroom when she's out; which is very, very often, 2~ hours per day and longer when I'm not working, usually about 4 hours of out-time.
I've put a link to a video I have of her from a little pet camera and attached some cute pictures of her so that you can see her normally.

If anyone has any idea what could be going on or whether my suspicion of her being gravid is correct I'd really appreciate it. If she is gravid I am aware of what to do in terms of a dig box :)

Video1: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10h-3phetK9KCVablJE9V3amp1aQOpjY9
Video2:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nua8p9bAJChYdxiqzRh1TLZdTmHKDFK9
IMG1:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pbSbicnppXYX_u_Q3G6S7qogVcXS1SwO
IMG2:
open

IMG3:
open

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not sure about her being gravid but it is mating season - that could be the hormonal thing going -- as far as the glass surfing she is wanting out--- others on here would haft to weigh in after they see the video clips of her
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ciarangrant96":1nklf6yx said:
Hi, this is my first post on a forum site for bearded dragons as I am very fortunate to have amazing resources where I live in the form of patient vets and very experienced breeders. I have asked these people about the behaviour of my bearded dragon but everyone's still unsure, she's booked into the vet on the 16th of May, 19.
Anyway, on with the issue and some more information about her and her setup.

I love my little Oreo, her name is Orion (Ori for short) because she's a little hunter, she has just turned 1 year old and she's never had a single health problem since a slight outbreak of parasites when she was a baby. She's strong, happy, healthy and sooo spoiled.
Usually, she sits on one of her hammocks or sits all smiley under her light. Her poops are frequent at one every 3-4 days, firm with white urinate.
She gets 5-6 wood roaches << just noticed this every second day and is offered salads every day. All of her food is sprinkled in calcium and rarely she gets treats like silkworms, mealworms and super-worms. She's also a raspberry fiend.

Her tank is 1.2 metres long (4ft) and her substrate is Back2Nature paper pellets which are changed every 2 weeks.
Her temps:
Daytime:
Hot side: 33ºC 91ºf
Middle: 31ºC 87ºf
Basking spot(Dead centre): 45ºc 113ºf <<< too hot , needs to be NO HOTTER than 40degC.
Cold side: 26ºc 79ºf
Nighttime:
Hot side: 30ºc 85ºf
Middle: 28ºc 82ºf
Cold side: 23ºc 73ºf

The Issue:
Ori has been going crazy lately, 3 weeks ago she was shedding, and this is when I think the behaviour started but I didn't notice as she's always crazy during a shed.
I think possibly she is gravid but I'm not sure how long until I can feel the eggs and I'm worried I could just assume she's gravid without being aware of an obvious other issue that may seriously hurt her.
She's been running back and fourth like crazy, whacking at her UVB tube light glass surfing, climbing the walls and when she is let out she ventures quite a way in the house despite her always content to stay in the bedroom when she's out; which is very, very often, 2~ hours per day and longer when I'm not working, usually about 4 hours of out-time.
I've put a link to a video I have of her from a little pet camera and attached some cute pictures of her so that you can see her normally.

If anyone has any idea what could be going on or whether my suspicion of her being gravid is correct I'd really appreciate it. If she is gravid I am aware of what to do in terms of a dig box :)

Video1: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10h-3phetK9KCVablJE9V3amp1aQOpjY9
Video2:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nua8p9bAJChYdxiqzRh1TLZdTmHKDFK9
IMG1:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pbSbicnppXYX_u_Q3G6S7qogVcXS1SwO
IMG2:
open

IMG3:
open

A couple of obvious issues I can see from the videos :
bad-lights-bad-bedding.png

1) substrate is very bad , an impaction risk .
Back2Nature paper pellets who recommended it for her tank ?
It needs to go in the garbage bin ASAP .

2) blue and pink glows ??? where are these coming from ?
They may be upsetting your dragon.
Need a nice colourless basking globe over the basking spot and a good quality UV source rated at least 10% UVB that will give her about 200 microW UVB / sq.cm at her basking spot.

What makes you think she's gravid ? (has she met a male bearded dragon and been allowed to do the deed ?)

Behaviour :
I think she's either hormonal (teenage girl dragon) and so seeing her reflection and interacting with the "ghost dragon" or she can see another dragon in another tank and is very interested in it / him (?).
What has the weather been like , is it getting HOT during the middle of the day ?
She may be frantically trying to escape a tank that's too hot , see this : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516
<<< frantic temperature avoidance behavior (41 to 45 degC range) ==> thermal stress.

This dragon is in Australia (SA / Adelaide) . So moving into winter .

Double check the tank temperatures , you might have them set too high by accident , especially if using a dodgey petshop strip or dial thermometer , could perhaps be dangerously hot , (above 45 degC is lethal to bearded dragons if they can't cool off) ..

Diet:
a feed of live insects every other day is not adequate for a juvenile (1 yr old) bearded dragon, at her age I recommend two small feeds of live insects per day or one big morning feed of live insects per day + salad daily.
She is not full grown at 12 months old , some would call her a subadult (teenager) and she has the potential to grow for another year and add several inches in length and 200 or more grams body weight.
I suggest a good meal of insects in the am each day (let her eat her fill) and watch her growth closely (weighing weekly) , when her growth rate flattens out (looks like it's plateauing) cut her insects (I'd simply go to maybe 1/2 the insects she was eating while growing) and add more salad.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would replace the substrate w/ either a non adhesive textured shelf liner or a slated ceramic tile-- if she is going into a bigger tank I would wait on the tile - it is a little more work to replace than the liner- both are cheap and can be bought at your local hardware store - or stores like Home Depot Lowes Menards etc............and easy to keep clean-- vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle--
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":225lmu8a said:
I would replace the substrate w/ either a non adhesive textured shelf liner or a slated ceramic tile-- if she is going into a bigger tank I would wait on the tile - it is a little more work to replace than the liner- both are cheap and can be bought at your local hardware store - or stores like Home Depot Lowes Menards etc............and easy to keep clean-- vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle--
Karrie
'

She mentioned wood roaches ==> she's located in Australia .

Based on this information, she's moving into winter , so unless she's based in Nth Qld, NT, or Nth of WA , she's not getting heatwaves or likely to see heatwave conditions for several months.

Update = Just noticed her info says she's in Adelaide ==> not hot , moving into winter.
Been getting the gales and storms this week in SA , this may have set off the dragon too.

ciarangrant96

Original Poster
Good news people! She’s all good, she is indeed gravid with eggs, the vet couldn’t feel them, same as the other vet but X-RAY has shown the eggs are about 2ish weeks from lay.

I had my suspicions when she was acting like crazy, from my research and what I was told gravid bearded females tend to go a little nuts to look for a place to lay. She didn’t ever want out of her tank, when I did she’d want back in right away.
She’s calmed down now.

As for the substrate, I have been assured by 3 breaders, 2 vets and 2 nurses that it’s one of the best to avoid impact ion due to it being water solvable. You can test this by putting a single drop of water on a pellet and watch it turn to mush. Even in a beardies stomach the short stand fibres have no potential to do harm.

Her red heat bulb was there temporarily while I was using her Solar GLO to set up her dog box until the second solar glo was delivered, i have 2 red bulbs are spare backups in case the solar glo fails.

I’m super happy with the vet assuring me, and armed with the knowledge she’s gonna be laying soon and what to do, I feel far better. Thank you everyone for sharing their two cents on the issue!

01MfL6c-K5THlKP3O3EIanK4w

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom