Normally calm beardie having fits of rage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiimwes

So ever since winter ended, I've been taking my beardie outside to have some fun, in the sun. Lately though, when I'm bringing him in, he will keep scratching me until I put him back down. It starts as soon as I get anywhere near the front door. He has never done this before, and I've had him for three years, and have taken him outside many other times.

Does anyone have any tips to get him to stop scratching me? The wounds are starting to get pretty deep since he just flails and scratches, and I can't just drop him immediately. I wanted to get him an outside terrarium, but I just don't ever have enough cash. It gets too hot for me, outside in the sun, but I normally let him run around and sunbathe for at least 45 minutes. I just have to watch him closely, since he's eaten wasps, before I could even stop him. Really he will try to eat anything that moves outside lol.

Right now he keeps starting at me, and looks stressed since I've put him back in his terrarium, but he isn't scratching the glass or anything. I'm really confused by his behavior.

Hiimwes

Original Poster
kwonsmommy":3jnu6wp8 said:
Do you have a beardie leash for him? Or have you tried wrapping him loosely in a towel so he doesnt scratch you?

No I can't seem to find a beardie leash anywhere. I would love to walk him on a leash sometime though. The towel idea is good, as I could get a small hand towel, and that would probably keep him from scratching me. I wonder why he started with the scratching in the first place though? I don't want to make him anxious, if I can help it.

Aebrius

I made a "leash" for mine out of the leg end of a pair of old jeans with a wicker piece through the loop of it, it looks like a little jean tunic on him.

I'm curious: how you pick him up? And also, are you usually coming at him from the same side as where the sun is?

The only time mine has ever bearded and freaked at me was when I was coming down to pick him up with the sun behind me, I guess all that he could really see was a silhouette coming down at him and he lost it. Haven't made that mistake since though.

Hiimwes

Original Poster
Aebrius":286yrejf said:
I made a "leash" for mine out of the leg end of a pair of old jeans with a wicker piece through the loop of it, it looks like a little jean tunic on him.

I'm curious: how you pick him up? And also, are you usually coming at him from the same side as where the sun is?

The only time mine has ever bearded and freaked at me was when I was coming down to pick him up with the sun behind me, I guess all that he could really see was a silhouette coming down at him and he lost it. Haven't made that mistake since though.

Oh, no I always get down low, and gently allow him to walk up into my hand. I don't even have to pick him up, unless he doesn't want to be picked up, or is interested in some bug. He doesn't have any problem when I am walking with him on my arm, but as soon as I get near the front door he flails for some reason. My front porch has roofing over it, and maby the shade means he can't see very well, but it seems like he keeps looking at something in the grass, and if I walk too far he can't keep his sights on it, and flails to let me know he wants to see something.

I do have outside cats, maby he gets spooked when he sees my two cats on the front porch? No way they could even reach him though while he is on my arm.

I also forgot to add, that he doesn't black beard at me when he is flailing. I saw some little red tiny bugs crawling on him, they are all over the hot stone he likes to sit on, so I'm going to take him to the vet, and have them check to see if any went in his ear or something. I killed them whenever I found any on him, and I'm going to have to get him a new stone to bask on. I'm not 100% sure what those little bugs are, but I sat on them before, and they bleed red.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom