Introducing dragons to each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamk34

Hatchling Member
So right now I have a female dragon she's just about 14 in Long still growing quite rapidly and all around very healthy I plan on making my own breeding reptile shop have multiple types of reptiles starting with dragons my reptile experience has always been with the ones that I work with in the zoo that I work in mostly monitor lizards and snakes. So on to the dragons spike is kept in 120 gallon tank a 48 by 24 by 24 custom built Carolina cage my second dragon Shenron will be kept in the same type of tank as soon as it's built temporarily he's going to be kept in a 40-gallon breeder Shenron is just a little smaller he's a little bit younger than a spiked he's just about 13 + 1/2 at the time that I bought him from the breeder which I'll be picking him up at the end of the month on my next days off. Their cages will be kept next to one another with a divider so they can't see one another they both will have a background so they won't see their reflections but it's a removable one so they can see each other through the glass if I want them to but my main question is how should I introduce them to one another I eventually want them to breathe when they're adults.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
They should not even know that the other exists until they are both at breeding age. Your female is not there yet. He will harass her and, they will both be stressed out because of this. Stress causes health issues and we don't want that.
They both need to be at least a year and, a half to two years old before they are introduced for breeding purposes and, only long enough to get the deed done.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I think they should only be introduced to each other carefully and safely, ie never physically meeting each other , only meeting each other at a distance (ie with sheet of glass or Perspex or clear plastic between them , until they are both old enough and large enough to breed.

My suggestion is to arrange their tanks so they are not able to see each other all day , ie stacked or in different rooms or with a barrier between the tanks that blocks their view of each other.

Some people claim that they have two females who live harmoniously together. This is rarely successful (unless they have been raised together from very small hatchlings).

Very small hatchlings and juveniles can be kept together provided they are fed separately and have a choice of basking spots and sleeping spot. Else one will thrive the other will not. As soon as any physical aggression is seen or evidenced - they will need to be permanently separated.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There is no reason to introduce even until they are ready to breed. And when the seasons here you will likely only have to have them near each other for a short while before the Male gets the idea. It will be aggressive but that's just the nature of the game. You shouldn't have to house them together to breed. So once the deed is done, back in their tanks they go.

-Brandon

williamk34

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you everybody it's definitely been helpful they're going to be house next to one another with a barrier between them just the nature of how much space I have at the moment maybe I'll try to see how they interact with the two pans of glass between them but I don't want to get them aggravated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom