Bearded dragon all of a sudden aggressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heisen222

104049-2366148839.jpg
104049-2366148839.jpg
104049-8819383136.jpg
So I’m going to try and be really specific. I have a male 6 month bearded dragon who I call my sweetheart because he is or was the sweetest beardy. Taking him out of his enclosure, cuddling, playing, hand feeding was all no problem until now. He has been VERY aggressive with me and my husband these past two weeks. I can’t even go 6 inches close to him without getting snapped or hissed at which is extremely weird. At first I thought he could possibly be going through brumation but sleeping has not been a thing yet. Maybe it’s hormoes? I’m not sure. I will add I did purchase a brand new 4ft by 2ft by 2ft enclosure. It estimates to about a 120 gallon tank. All bamboo walls so he doesn’t see his reflection, sliding glass doors in the front, and retains more heat than the glass tanks. Lighting is still the same 90-100° in basking spot, 80-85° in the cool areas, and I bought a new fluorescent uvb light bulb. He has been in his new enclosure for about a week now, just around the same time he started to get really aggressive. I don’t know what to do. It’s honestly heartbreaking. I will add pictures of his enclosure set up and of how he is currently.

Foxxy76

Possibly re-location stress? he may just need to adjust to his new home. Are those objects from his old tank? Maybe something familiar in his new home would help. Hormones could be a factor too since it is the season.

Heisen222

Original Poster
Foxxy76":xbee6bxj said:
Possibly re-location stress? he may just need to adjust to his new home. Are those objects from his old tank? Maybe something familiar in his new home would help. Hormones could be a factor too since it is the season.
There’s a couple of things in there from his previous home. The larger log, plant, and hammock is new. How can I make this situation better? Should I still try to handle him? Or should I just give him his space?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What is the UVB you got? I have the same exact tank -- here is my tank
97951-1918616193.jpg
97951-1410759176.jpg
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You mean 5.0 UVB and is it the Reptison? Lighting does have a lot to do w/ their behavior but I can't imagine them turning aggressive unless tank is too hot-- how are you taking temps?
Karrie

Heisen222

Original Poster
KarrieRee":x4ljqiep said:
You mean 5.0 UVB and is it the Reptison? Lighting does have a lot to do w/ their behavior but I can't imagine them turning aggressive unless tank is too hot-- how are you taking temps?
Karrie
I know the brand is Zilla. I have a thermometer in there. 90-100° in the basking area, and the cool side is at least 85°

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok first thing I am going to recommend is you get a Infrared Heat gun-- thats going to give you more accurate basking temps of where he is sitting -- the thermometer is totally inaccurate and can be off by 40 degrees- a digital probe is better for ambient temps and can be used to get the basking spots as well -- but I would get a IR gun - they can be purchased at Walmart Home Depot Lowes for around $10-- the second thing I am going to send info on is the UVB --
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
So I am guessing since you changed tank out and its like mine your tank may be too hot --- that could be the aggressive behavior but the UVB is going to be beneficial to him over all health wise- please get an accurate temp of the basking area and go from there-- we had one girl post she had 3 150 watt bulbs in her tank and could not figure out why her dragon was so aggressive --- she was cooking him --
Karrie

Heisen222

Original Poster
Heisen222":3hkg3lxg said:
104049-2366148839.jpg
104049-2366148839.jpg
104049-8819383136.jpg
So I’m going to try and be really specific. I have a male 6 month bearded dragon who I call my sweetheart because he is or was the sweetest beardy. Taking him out of his enclosure, cuddling, playing, hand feeding was all no problem until now. He has been VERY aggressive with me and my husband these past two weeks. I can’t even go 6 inches close to him without getting snapped or hissed at which is extremely weird. At first I thought he could possibly be going through brumation but sleeping has not been a thing yet. Maybe it’s hormoes? I’m not sure. I will add I did purchase a brand new 4ft by 2ft by 2ft enclosure. It estimates to about a 120 gallon tank. All bamboo walls so he doesn’t see his reflection, sliding glass doors in the front, and retains more heat than the glass tanks. Lighting is still the same 90-100° in basking spot, 80-85° in the cool areas, and I bought a new fluorescent uvb light bulb. He has been in his new enclosure for about a week now, just around the same time he started to get really aggressive. I don’t know what to do. It’s honestly heartbreaking. I will add pictures of his enclosure set up and of how he is currently.
“UPDATE”
So I’ve been able to take him out of his enclosure but I have to admit, it was not easy. What’s weird is he is very calm and acts the way he usually does. However, it’s only when I try to grab him out of his enclosure he gets aggressive. Other than that he acts completely normal. Even holding him and moving him around out of his enclosure is ok. I’m starting to wonder if he just really hates his new enclosure...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Odd I dont know how he could hate his new enclosure -- he should be a happy camper w/ all that room-- did you get a infrared heat gun to get his temps in tank? Did you change any of his decor in tank? I am just trying to think of why he would be aggressive--- it was just this last week hes been doing this so he wasnt doing it in his old tank? Could be the relocation thing going on--- but I would make sure your getting accurate temps in that tank so we can rule that out! I have my basking lamp on the top of screen and my temps run 95-104 on that rock- any closer and hed be a cooked dragon-- my lamp is a 100 watt
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom