Decreased Appetite + Sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottSB52

Hello Everyone,

My 10-month old beardie, Tuco, has not been eating nearly enough for the past two weeks. He is fed a diet of dubia roaches (staple) with hornworms and butterworms as treats. He is offered a salad every day of a mix of collards, turnip greens, butternut squash, and carrots. He has only picked at his roaches (~3-5 a day) if I am lucky. Most days, he does not eat anything and turns his nose at anything I offer.

He also seems to be sleeping more often in his hide. This is peculiar because he is normally active and alert except at the beginning and end of the day. Now, he is frequently in his hide sleeping (and not responding to the sound of me walking in in the afternoon). However, when he is awake, he is as active and alert as ever.

Two days ago, I went and got baby food (banana - they did not have squash) to feed him through an oral syringe. He will lap up about 1mL off of his nose (twice a day) before he loses interest. This is not a sustainable caloric intake for a growing beardie.

He is still only 235g due to some parasite issues a few months ago, but had been on a great growth trajectory prior to this slowdown. Now, he has been 230-235g and has not gained or lost weight in these two weeks. I do not want him to suffer another setback in his growth :(

Does anyone have any idea about what could be the problem? He is not shedding at the moment (this actually began after a shed). He has a bowel movement about every 2 days.

Husbandry notes:

He is in a 36x18x18 tank - tile flooring.

Temps are ~105 on the basking platform, and ~80 on the cool side

UV light is a Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO tube mounted above the mesh about 9 inches from the platform.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How long has he been acting sleepy? Since he isn't losing weight, I'd guess that he is OK and just slowing down for some reason or another. Keep an eye on his weight though.

ScottSB52

Original Poster
I would say about 2 weeks now. It's just bizarre because I normally get home from work, and even if he is in his hide, he is clearly wide awake.

Now, he is asleep and does not wake up unless I touch him to pick him up.

And I am monitoring his weight daily. I just hope the baby food feedings aren't masking a larger problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom