Sleeping with belly up against Glass/MOuth open

Status
Not open for further replies.

onealcm

103959-4286962757.jpg

103959-5112346597.jpg

I came home from work, he/she was standing like this. When I turn the UVB light off at night he/she also sleeps like this.
Is it normal?

Also, he/she keeps opening his/her mouth, and something open and close while sticking tounge out.
Is this normally as well???

as a baby my man use to sleep like that all the time
102094-4470369425.jpg
even as a teen he still does it every now again
102094-1062361980.jpg
might just feel good on his belly, possible he might see his reflection. either way my guy is healthy so its not a big deal. the opening of the mouth usually just means theyre releasing heat so he might just be a bit warm. if hes basking when he opens his mouth then thats completely normal. at least from the picture it doesnt look like hes sticking his tongue out at all, you can see their tongue when they open their mouth tho, is that what youre talking about?
whats that red light? pretty sure you shouldnt use red lights, but it might be fine for just the daytime. either way im sure your guy would prefer a nice natural white light but someone else might have better info. just definatly dont leave that red light on him at night or the poor guy will get bad sleep. plus it looks like your UVB is a coil and pretty dim, which is useless. what kind of lighting do you have?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes get rid of the red bulb--- it hurts their eyes and can cause long term damage-- you need to replace your coil UVB if that is what you have here is some info on that- Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- the only lights you need in your tank are the UVB and a good white basking light-- if you want extra lighting for your tank you can use a 60 watt Household bulb that wont heat up your tank- I have one on the cool side of tank that stays around 80's during the day and at nite cool side is 70's - but please get rid of the red bulb! The sleeping positions are normal that pictures show but the red bulb is harmful to your dragon-- the tongue thing I would say is not normal ---what are your temps in the tank? A infrared heat gun is the most accurate to take temps--- you can get one from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes for around $10 --
Karrie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
You really need to get a bright white light, red or, any other colored light distorts their vision and confuses them. You will need NO visible light on at night or any color and, as long as your house temps stay above 65 at night you won't need a heat source.If it does get lower than that, a CHE is in order to keep the temps between 65 and 75 "NO hotter". If he is gaping at night, it is way to hot for him to rest. Dragons like it cool and, dark so they can slow their metabolism and, actually rest when they sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom