New Owner, very concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dessj

One of my friends recently surprised me with a baby bearded dragon (3/25, so four days ago) and I have no idea how old he is.The first day he seemed like he would warm up to me fast as he’d let me take him out of his viv and hold him for about 5 minutes before getting jumpy. When he was brought to me there was dried food and the set up in the picture I’ve attached. He wasn’t eating the dry food so I went to buy worms as I’m a little afraid of crickets. The worms they told me to buy were wax worms which I have read are like a snack for them. He ate them that day which was 3/26 but he has not eaten anything at all since. I tried veggies and apples but nothing. I decided to go get crickets and emptied about 15 crickets in his viv and he ate NONE. I had to vacuum them out of the terrarium. He basks most of the day (I am now aware that I need a better temperature gage). Also the tank that was given to me is Zilla and is 20x10x12, how soon does he need to upgrade, I’ve heard it’s a terrible brand? How often should I try and handle him because he is VERY jumpy and gives me a really bad side eye. What do I do about him not eating?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Oh dear! I am so glad you came here to ask questions before he starts getting sick-- Ok we can start w/ relocation stress first -- it may take him a week or two to adjust --- next would be the size of the tank you asked --- eventually hes going to need to go into a 75-120 gallon tank for full potential growth-- next hes going to need the proper lighting - this is what we recommend on this forum --
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- just make sure you get the 10.0 bulb -- the 5.0 is for more of tropical reptiles--- you can look on online at Amazon or pangeareptiles.com -- you can keep the UVB on top of the tank depending on the screen if its fine mesh it needs to go inside if its a wide hole screen on top--- w/ a small tank it can go on top for now but the larger the tank it will need to go inside depending on the screen and you want a tank w/ front doors that open -- not a top opening -- next is the basking light - a nice bright white bulb that will keep temps on his basking spot 90-105 for adults 100-110 or so for babies--- I recommend dubia roaches for him as they tend not to give parasites/ worms and are way healtheir for him -- also they are easier to keep like in a 10 gallon aquarium can be fed carrots apples squash sweet potato -- hes going to be eating like 6-8 per feeding whereas crickets around 20 or so or as many as he can eat in a 10-15 minutes- the bugs need to be dusted w/ calcium d3 5 x per week and 2 x per week w/ vitamins--- I am so glad you didnt leave those crickets in his tank -- they tend to bite and can give infections from the bite--- roaches do not do that and they dont stink or chirp---- I would recommend you pick up a Infrared heat gun from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes--- they are around $10 -- they give the most accurate temps -- also you can get a digital probe thermometer which will give you ambient temps-- he should have a basking side of tank and a cool side of tank like around 80 and at nite temp should go no lower than 65-- they like it cool and dark to sleep helps w/their metabolism-- and a hydrometer which is for humidity placed on the back of the tank like in the center of the tank -- I have one that gives me on the hydrometer where it says desert moderate or high -- the lighting is the most crucial --the UVB plays a huge role in their eating digesting their overall health---
He should be offered vegies even tho he wont eat much of them as his main diet right now is the live bugs-- collards mustard turnip greens green beans squash some fruit like apple strawberries blueberries mango sweet potato can be offered--- his diet will switch at around a year and start eating less bugs and more vegies--- you can give him warm baths every other day for hydration -- if his bugs are good and gutt loaded w/ the food you feed he should be okay on hydration -- I know I just gave you a ton of info but please ask more questions if you have them
thanks for posting pic
Karrie

Dessj

Original Poster
Thank you so much Karrie! If he does not eat the Dubia roaches immediately will they need to come out as well? Should I stop handling him until he is eating more and has less stress marks?
-Desiree’

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Dubias are fine they don't bite--- handling ? Some people say not to I did-- I got hiccup used to my hand in tank and I did handle him even tho he squirmed-- they get used to you and put him on you so he gets used to your scent-- they like soft things like fleece you can put like a blanket in his hide for sleeping-- another thing if you are going into his tank from the top it may freak him out as they tend to get scared from things over head --- hence predators like birds --- its best to go in from the side - but its hard to do w/ a tank that only opens from the top--- thats why tanks w/ front openings are best
:)
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom