Feel like giving up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have literally tried everything, the vet says he is okay. He eats fine, poops fine, he has proper calcium intake and vitamins. Yet its like he magically hates me now. He hates coming outside with us and will try to run. He hates the harness i got him, which was to be expected so i stopped using it for now. He always acts scared and darkens up when he comes outside. He no longer wants us to hold him, but the vet says he is normal. I dont know what else to do....

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Sorry to hear. I know it hurts when they seem to reject you, but it could be environmental & nothing to do with you personally. This is Chroma, right? I seem to remember that you have a dog & cat around the house? It could be that he's freaked out by that if everyone's out at once. We have no other pets/kids, but sometimes my guys will hang out with my wife & I when we take them out (separately), and sometimes they're off like a shot to go hide somewhere. Other times they'll be napping on one of us and suddenly decide that it's better to burrow into the couch cushions. Then there's the stink-eye-for-no-reason days...

Beardies are strange creatures, but it might be that he's still young & finding his place in your world. They get hormones, sheds, cranky moods, but I'd definitely not take it personally. With my new one (a rescue), I have had to try to bond with him since I got him as a juvenile vs. my 1st, who I raised from ~ 2 weeks old. When he runs away, I follow at a distance & just hang with him wherever he goes. I don't try to pick him up or take him from his hiding spot, just sit/lie there in full view so he knows I'm not trying to eat him. Slowly, he's coming around, so I'd just recommend patience. He'll come around!

Hammie2496

Original Poster
Yes its Chroma and Thank you so much, that helped. It is just so hard since he is still fairly young. He started out awesome but he kind of just stopped. Maybe i should let him explore his environment more rather than hoovering over him. He did do good running around prior to when he almost fell down the stairs. Thank you i needed this

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Hammie2496":3smppq0l said:
Yes its Chroma and Thank you so much, that helped. It is just so hard since he is still fairly young. He started out awesome but he kind of just stopped. Maybe i should let him explore his environment more rather than hoovering over him. He did do good running around prior to when he almost fell down the stairs. Thank you i needed this

OK, let him explore in a safe down stares area , when he runs out of steam he'll be more inclined to enjoy a snuggle.

When ever you get him out have some wormy treats ready to give to him, you need to gain his trust and get him to associate you and coming out with something he likes (food) and then warmth and security.
Will take a little while but he will come around.

Especially when his hormones settle down a bit , it is moving into spring in the Nth Hem ,so I think a lot of this hormonal … you essentially have a megahorny teenager on your hands who is testing the boundaries and trying the establish the pecking order.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hammie2496":1ktvfcy2 said:

Glad to help :)

Two things I've had good success with is setting mine on the arm of the couch while I'm watching TV and letting them decide what to do. Sometimes they stick around & watch with me, sometimes not, but that's okay. The other trick is to take them out close to bed time when they're winding down for the evening. Just set them on you & if they stay, cover them with a little blanket & let them fall asleep on you. It not only helps with bonding, but it's darn cute! I am amazed every time mine snuggles & then does the limp rag thing with me. My oldest doesn't even wake up now when I go to put him back- trying to get there with my newbie.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Don't feel to bad. I have a 3 month old dragon that won't let me even get close to him, (he's a hard headed feller) no matter what I try, nothing has worked so far. I'm a patient guy so, I've got time!!!

Hammie2496

Original Poster
Thank you all, and i also forgot about the hormonial thing and spring time. Im going to re try to let him wonder about the room with no animals in it. I want him to know he is safe and i love him but i dont want him to be a gry with me everytime he comes out. Thank goodness he doesnt try to bite me or id be more devastated then i am now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom