Angry beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Since 5 years I have my own beardie in my room in a big cage. But since two months I take care of another beardie. Both are male beardies. I did not put them in the same cage. The newest beardie, I put him in a cage about a meter away from the first one and they cannot see eachother, because I put books in front of the cage. Except from when I take one of them out of the cage and let them run around in my room. Then they can see eachother. The beardie I've had for 5 years is very 'grumpy' lately. When he sees the other dragon, his beard becomes black. But now I've noticed that if he only hears the other dragon, his beard becomes black, his head is going up and down and now he's been running in my room for over 5 minutes, gets completely crazy.

What to do? Will he get used to the new dragon? Or does this cause so much stress, that they should never see eachother?

Thanks!
Anne

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
No, he will not get used to him, the new dragon is an invader in his territory and, he is stressing over it. If given the chance he will mame or kill the new one. The best way to deal with having both of them is to put them in separate rooms and, NEVER let the see each other again, they will both be happier this way.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
yes please do what Gormagon has suggested --- I hope you do this right away or your going to end up w/a dead beardie-- males are very territorial!! They will never get used to one another-- its not in their behavior!
Karrie

AnneSchumii

Original Poster
Thank you so much for replying. I now positioned the cage of the new beardie in such a way that they won't see eachother again. If I take one of them out of the cage, I make sure that they don't see eachother either. Both beardies have calmed down. If the beards do not get black anymore and they stopped bobbing their heads, does this mean that they are feeling allright again? I cannot put one of them in another room because I live in a student house and I only have one room. If it is best for both of them to keep them in seperate rooms, I have to give one of them away, but now they seem to be happy not seeing eachother anymore.

AnneSchumii

Original Poster
That is good to hear. He doesn't bob his head anymore, only sometimes a bit, and his beard sometimes gets a bit darker. Do you think he is still a bit stressed/angry? Knowing that the other beardie is still in the room, or sometimes hears the other beardie a bit. Or is that natural behaviour they can show even though no other beardie is around?
He doesn't run around anymore by the way. He looks quite/really calm now

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
AnneSchumii":tor7wa8n said:
That is good to hear. He doesn't bob his head anymore, only sometimes a bit, and his beard sometimes gets a bit darker. Do you think he is still a bit stressed/angry? Knowing that the other beardie is still in the room, or sometimes hears the other beardie a bit. Or is that natural behaviour they can show even though no other beardie is around?
He doesn't run around anymore by the way. He looks quite/really calm now
Sounds like he might still be stressing a little. The choice is yours about keeping the other one. I know you are limited for space and, there aren't many options left. I don't know where you are but, I'm sure someone here would be glad to take him in.

AnneSchumii

Original Poster
I will try this for one more week, and if one of them still looks stressed, I will put one beardie at my friend's place. Really happy that he wants to take him :) Thanks for your advice! :):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom