New Baby bearded dragon is not eating live crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiraC

I just got a baby bearded dragon (Cutie) a week ago and he's about a month old. He didn't eat anything the first day. Then I tried to feed him with live crickets the second day but he didn't seem interested. So, I decided the kill one of the crickets and put it in front of him in his terrarium. He eventually ate it. I have been buying small crickets about the size between his eyes. I don't know why he is not attempting to eat live crickets, dubia or worms.

Also he seems to get black spots when I try to put dead crickets (I get them alive and kill them right before feeding him) in fort of him but when I leave the room his belly and chin turns white. Should I start handling him more ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hes probably anxious in his new surroundings - he will come around - keep feeding him the live bugs- what kind of tank set up do you have? Lighting UVB basking area should be warmer than normal babies like it warmer like 100-105 or so -- UVB is crucial - he should have a tube Reptison 10.0 T8 or a Arcadia 10.0 T5 inside the tank w/ no reflector hood about 6-12 inches from area-- bugs should be dusted w/ calcium d3 x 5 per week and vitamins 2 x per week -- collard and mustard greens offered even tho he probably wont eat them since bugs are his main diet- I would keep him on the dubias they are better for him and wont give him parasites and they are easier to keep -- 1 dubia = 6 crickets-- what kind of worms-- no super or meal worms he is too young just the bugs for now-- there is a feeding list on the feeding board you can go there for the link-- you need to handle him so he gets used to you - pet him in his tank hold him -- he will get used to you and eventually come around -- dubias can be kept in a 10 gallon aquarium and fed dubia food along w/ carrots sweet potato and apple for their water-- they can be ordered on line and suppliers offer free shipping -- this forum has a ton of info I would explore it and it can answer alot of your questions --- if you have more there are plenty of people on here that can help you out-- please post pic of your little one and his set up - go to top of page click on image uploader - download pics and them when ready to post click on XIMG at the top of the message and they will post

Karrie

MiraC

Original Poster
103152-8367173504.jpg
103152-9989240965.jpg

My main issue is that he doesn't want to eat live crickets worms or dubia roaches. I have to kill the crickets to feed him because he doesn't attempt to eat the live ones. I have to stay away from the terrarium for him to stay calm and eat his cricket. I have tried to feed him in a feeding box with roaches wax worms and dubia roached he still doesn't want to eat unless i kill them and he's in his terrarium. I make him salad everyday with mustard greens, bell pepper, carrots. He doesn't eat his salad unless I put it in front of him and wait for him to eat.

I tried to feed him with wax worms and small crickets. I also dust the crickets before giving him with multivitamin and calcium with d3. I also give him warm baths every other day. He poo'ing every morning.

My setup:
ZooMed combo deep dome dual lamp fixture 10.0 uvb and 150w basking lamp
40 gallon terrarium
warm side 105 cold side 80
humidity 30

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is the UVB a coil? It needs to be a long tube 10.0 Reptison T8 or Arcadia T5-- but it sounds like everything else is fine- it could be he doesnt like crickets - try some dubia roaches for a staple and see how he goes w/ them--

Karrie

MiraC

Original Poster
Thank you for the help! I have tried it. He doesn’t want to eat roaches too. I really don’t know how to get him to eat live crickets or Dubia roaches. He just doesn’t seem interested. He gets really anxious when I try to feed him in a feeding box. And I will get him a new reptisun UVB 10.0 long tube today.

MiraC

Original Poster
I really need an idea to get him start eating live crickets and other insects. I don’t know what to do.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The uvb needs to go inside tank approx 6-12 inches from where he sits- post your question about feeding crickets on the feeding board see you can get some ideas from others I am not sure
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom