Scratches to get out, then sleeps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there beardie lovers. Ive had my Benjamin for almoatc2 years, he went through his first brumation this fall and has been fearless since he woke up (never really seemed bothered by the cats but now its like they dont exist at all). I built him a ramp so he can come out and socialize if he wants to and since he picked up on his option to leave the enclosure, he will periodically scratch at the glass when he wants out. When
I let him out he will run around and explore which is adorable....but then he will find a dark spot and go to sleep! Never on me or my son though we'd love that. Usually in a corner or under something. Ive been letting him chill for a bit but i put him back after about 30min cuz I dont want him to get too cold. He has a great hidey space in his enclosure and the enclosure itself is very big (20" deep 46"" wide 24" tall custom built by yours truely). I am not crazy concerned about this behavior but i want to make sure im not being overly relaxed about it.
His appetite is great and poops normally every 1-2 days.

Thanks for any wisdom!

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi,

When my beardie is out and about, he often runs around for a bit & then finds a dark corner to sleep in, so to me it's not something to worry about. One thing I do want to mention is that cats represent a very significant danger to beardies even if they are well fed and previous interactions have not been an issue. I just responded to another poster last week whose dragon was savaged by a cat, and it seems to be a very preventable tragedy to me. They are predators and often 'play' with prey as part of their natural behavior, to hone hunting skills. I'm not bashing cats (I have owned several), but I personally would not facilitate the interaction you describe for the safety of your little friend.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He probably gets tired/cold and just bunkers down after a while. All of my guys have done that too. If you put out a portable basking light for them, they'll usually return to it to warm up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom