Beardie eating clay substrate? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilCheeto

I recently purchased some clay excavator substrate for my beardie. I set it up, and immediately he started eating entire chunks of the substrate! I read up on it and nobody seemed to have any similar issues. I took him out to let the clay dry cause I thought he was attracted to the shininess of the wet clay, but yet he's still eating chunks of it. Even after I've fed him, so I know he's not hungry. Why is he doing this? How do I stop him? Will the clay excavator cause impaction? Help!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
He's doing it because he likes it.
Stopping him is simple, switch to a substrate that cannot be ingested. (rough texture tile, nonadhesive shelf liner, vinyl flooring, paper towels ect....)
It could cause impaction, not sure.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I agree , the clay needs to be removed.

You also need to review your dragon's diet , he's doing this because he's lacking something or he feels sick (some clays will react in the gut to bind toxins or neutralize the gut juices).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom