Morning glass surfing and black bearding

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyJade94

Hi,

in a pair of 4ft stacked vivs I have my 2 rescue bearded dragons. Meeko the male came first which I never had any problems with. Now a few months ago I fell in love with a female dragon, Prescilla... sadly she was an animal abuse case and this is what led to me to getting the second viv set up. It was only a month in before Prescilla laid a few clutches of eggs in quick succession, I will add this is just her choosing to do so.. the two are housed completely seperate and will never meet. Now usually throughout the day, both are quiet and seem happy looking out their vivs.. going about their business. However, recently Prescilla, in the bottom viv has began to almost seem hyper in the morning. As soon as the basking light and uv tube come on she is running side to side.. no black beard just seeming as if she wants to come out. This leads to Meeko in the top viv mega black bearding... head bobbing.. glass surfing. I'm assuming he can hear her in the viv below. Now both uv tubes are always replaced when needed and the basking lights are on from 8am to 10pm.. the temperature settles at around 110 f.. measured by a digital thermometer with probe directly under the basking area.. the thermostat is set to 80 f with its probe as far over into cool end as it will go. The only thing that's concerning me is when the baskin light comes on it seems to throw out temps of nearly 120f! And can take a good 10 minutes to settle down to 110f.. is this my problem? Is the basking bulb getting way too hot when it first turns on in the morning? Reading online regarding glass surfing it seems it can be a variety of things and I'm just trying to figure out why. The pair of them were going erratic when I started writing this post, now I've finished and just looked over .. both seem perfectly happy just watching the day go by. This is what's losing me as to what can be stressing them as it seems very much a morning get up crazy habit and then totally fine :) sorry for rambling on! Thank you for reading z

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
120 is a bit high, but if it settles down after a bit it shouldn't cause a problem. She should be able to just move to a cooler spot if it's too hot. You may want to try setting it a bit lower so it starts at 110 and goes down to 100 perhaps. You may also get a different result trying a different brand or type of bulb. Might be worth experimenting with a bit.

As far as the glass surfing goes, she may just be restless and want out to run around a bit. If you can let her out, I'd do that and see how she reacts. I usually have my guy out in the morning to eat breakfast, sit under his portable basking light, and go to the bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom