New Adopted Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

mskleif

Hi everyone!

I just adopted a bearded dragon. I got him from a family who's boys no longer had the time to take care of him- I believe he is a few years old. They gave me all of the supplies, food, and equipment that they had, so his set up is mostly the same. I have had him for a week now, and as he is my first beardie, I want to know if his behavior is normal.

First of all, he has not eaten much. His previous owners fed him bearded dragon food from the pet store. I have been offering him this as well as salad, apples, and carrots. He did not eat for two days, so I bought him some crickets, which his owners mentioned he got about once a week. He ate these right away!

Since then, he has eaten a little bit of his food one day, but that is all. He has pooped twice.

I have been able to give him a bath, though he did not stay in for long. Other than that, I have been giving him water by spraying him. He will lick the water off of his nose.

In the past few days, I have been taking him out of his cage and holding him/ playing with him. The first few days I only pet him as I wanted him to get used to me. When he is out, he is very active, though still a little nervous (won't sleep on my lap or anything).

When he is in his viv, he will sit on top of his log, bask occasionally, or hang out in a corner and rest. I notice that he is sleeping/napping a lot, which worries me a little. Whenever I put him back in his cage, he does a lot of glass surfing, but only in one corner. I am not sure if this is due to stress or to his reflection. He has never turned dark or puffed his beard.

Anyway, I am sorry for the long post! I am just new to this and am not sure what is "normal". I guess I am just wondering if his behavior is normal for a beardie adjusting to his new home.

I am not sure how to upload a picture on here :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First off thank you for taking the guy in--- second you can upload a image at the very top of this page there is a icon says Image Uploader use that -- -- What type of lights are you using? Basking UVB-- ? How big is his tank? the glass surfing usually means they want out-- He should be getting crickets or dubias every day if he is under a year - and they should be dusted w/ calcium powder and vitamins - under a year every day for calcium and 2 times per week for vitamins- if hes older than a year he should be getting the bugs a couple times a week -- they are mainly vegetarians after a year old- salad???? what is that? Like lettuce salad? He should be getting mustard greens, collard greens, kale once in a while I heard it was a calcium absorbant so I dont feed mine Kale, bok choy mine does not like bok choy, dandalions when in season-- the yellow flowers and the greens are good, there is a list here on this website that gives you a list of stuff you can feed them- I have a Citrus Tiger named Hiccup he will be a year at the end of Jan I believe-- I feed him Dubias Roaches he eats around 10 a day-- his salad in the afternoon of mustard and collard greens sweet potato cooked, either strawberries or raspberries 3 butter worms and 1 horn worm--- the dubias I order from dubiaroaches.com along w/ the butter worms the horn worms and the super worms-- I have never fed him meal worms-- the worms are all treats - the dubias are a staple feeder like the crickets- I dont like to feed him crickets as I was told by my vet that it gives them worms or coccidia --its normal for a little coccidia but high levels is not good - thats why I feed the roaches -- plus he likes the roaches better than crickets-- crickets are stinky and more work - the roaches are easy- I keep them in a 10 gal tank and feed them carrots apples sweet potato bascially the same thing you can feed the dragon they will eat-- the basking light is how they digest their food- it should be around 90-105 or w/ cool side of tank around 70-80- the UVB light should be inside of tank that is best so they can sit directly under it - mine is in the tank and Hiccup sits maybe 6 inches from it- his platform goes directly under it -- a good infrared temp gun works best for getting temps-- they are cheap like around $10 and you can get them from Walmart etc.......... also the UVB light is critical -- it will prevent the muscular bone disease -- if you click on the tip of the week proper UV lighting on the right hand side of this page it will give you a care sheet list -- please read that and it can answer a lot of your q's and and its good info

Karrie

mskleif

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply! I am currently feeding him what his pay owners were feeding him, but will begin to transition him to what you have suggested. He is over a year old. By salad I meant kale, but good to know that is not the best greens to feed him.

His temps are right when I check with my infared temp gun. The previous owner did not use a UVB bulb of any kind. I am using a 26 coil one outside the tank for now but have ordered one To go inside the tank as I have read that is best. I am wondering if the UVB light is stressing him as he is not used to it. His tank is 40 gallons. I will try giving him more time to play tomorrow and see if that stops the glass surfing- though i think it is strange it always happens after I have had him out.
102245-8286613947.jpg

102245-7192180985.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom