Baby Beardies eyes closed an awful lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Fil (that’s his third name now, he was barrabas then we though he was a girl, named him Fiona, found out its actually a boy lol so now he’s Fil) seems to always have his eyes closed. I’ve had him for about a solid month now and about two weeks ago I switched over to a T8 reptisun 10.0 tube which he can only get 6” to at the closest. Before that I had a coil uvb bulb which I found out wasn’t good for his eyes (which is when I switched to reptisun) could he be having some issues from the month and a half I had him under the coil bulb?
Also he is is the middle of a shed and thoughtful thinking just tells me he’s trying to get the skin off his eyelids and they’re always closed due to uncomfortability.

Basking spot 104, cold side reads about 83. Reptisun 10.0 tube, eating regularly (except for the past two days but he’s had a lot of shed) bowel movements are regular once to twice a day, paper towels are temporary substrate until I build new cage.
Any thoughts?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possibly shed related. Especially if you see shedding skin around his head. The skin can irritate their eyes a bit sometimes. You may also see eye bulging and beard flaring to help loosen the skin. If he is closing his eyes a lot during basking, then it may just be that he feels relaxed. If you don't see swelling or crusty/mucous buildup then it's not likely an infection or more serious problem.

Itszackbreh

Original Poster
101732-8537338203.jpg

That was right before his shed

101732-7366646775.jpg

That’s after. He shed from head to toe in one shot, is that normal? My other guy shed body parts from time to
Time but I don’t know about shedding everything at once.
He seemed like he was mad stressed out. Lost all his belly.
But after he shed his last piece of skin he took down about 50 BSFL

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's common for young dragons to shed in one blast like that. It becomes less common as they get older. Adults tend to shed less frequently and it happens in smaller patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom