Confuzzlement w/ maybe brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty...
My beardie is abooout... 4 months old? Maybe? Possibly more, possibly less. Anyways, they're starting to freak me out (I know, newbie bearded dragon owner, probably nothing). He sleeps literally ALL the time. I'll wake him up for food and water but soon after he'll hide under a small blanket type thing in the tank and sleep until the next time I wake him up. I assume it's a sort of brumation, because we're going into winter and everything. However, someone told me beardies don't brumate at his age... What do you guys think is going on?
Also, I know the temperature is probably a part of this mystery. It should be around 100˚, right? HOW can I get it that high? I have a 10.0 ReptiSun bulb, a ceramic heater, and a light that stays on 24/7 for nighttime and extra heat. I can't ever get the temp above 90˚. Any advice?
Thanks!

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
Can you post pics of your setup.
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/#list use the ximg button at top of text box.

I believe for young beardies the basking temp should be 110 or so. You say you have a reptisun 10.0 bulb is it a t5 or t8. T5 is the recommended bulb. Also you say you have a light on 24/7. That's a no no. Beardies need zero light at night. This could be why the little one is constantly sleeping. You are correct hes way to young to brumate. Depending on your setup, you can either lower the bulbs or use higher wattage ones. How are you checking your temps? What size is your tank? The ceramic heater should be enough to keep the temp from going below 70 at night. Is your reptisun bulb on top of screen or below? Once he adjusts to no light on at nite times he should be more active. I use a timer on all my lights and run 12 hours on 12 hours off.

YesIJustGotADragon

Original Poster
I actually ended up turning all the lights off at night, evening out the timing, replacing one of my bulbs, and getting a tank heater for the warm side of the tank. He's now almost too active and always wants food :roll: . He never sleeps under the blanket anymore but I keep it in there because he seems to like it.
Sorry I didn't reply to your questions. I changed a few things around a few days after posting this and he's been doing a lot better since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom