Dominance Behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there,
I recently adopted a 2 year old with some mildish MBD. She's very small for her age and has some deformed ribs and front arms. But she's otherwise healthy and active. I also have had my other bearded dragon for a few months now and he is probably only 6 months old? But anyway she is super aggressive with him. He tries to wave and will just run away from her. They are housed separately, this is just when we try to introduce them outside the cages.
She exhibits one behavior I was just curious about. Whenever he is around she takes just a massive poop. It's really bad. Is this some sort of dominance thing? Is there anything that will help her calm down a little?
Thanks in advance.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
godzillababy":1ciaecae said:
Hey there,
I recently adopted a 2 year old with some mildish MBD. She's very small for her age and has some deformed ribs and front arms. But she's otherwise healthy and active. I also have had my other bearded dragon for a few months now and he is probably only 6 months old? But anyway she is super aggressive with him. He tries to wave and will just run away from her. They are housed separately, this is just when we try to introduce them outside the cages.
She exhibits one behavior I was just curious about. Whenever he is around she takes just a massive poop. It's really bad. Is this some sort of dominance thing? Is there anything that will help her calm down a little?
Thanks in advance.

They never need to interact with each other, or be allowed out together (this is fraught with danger).

I suggest stacking their tanks (one on top the other) , with the dominant in the bottom tank, this way when the dominant is on the floor by itself it will not see the submissive unless it looks up or sees it from a distance as it will be permanently out of it's line of sight). This will help de-stress the submissive and the dominant should settle down pretty quick.
They will know each other are about but out of sight is pretty much out of mind for dragons..

It wont matter if the dominant sees the submissive when out if the submissive is safe behind glass and inaccessible to it.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Beardies are solitary animals, only coming together when breeding or for recourses. I would recommend keeping them separate even outside of their tanks as letting them meet causes unnecessary stress and can even potentially be a danger to both of their health. For instance they could attack each other or even kill each other.

godzillababy

Original Poster
Okay! Actually that's how we have their tanks already so that works out. We'll just keep them separated no big deal! Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom