When will he stop running when i try to pick him up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoNut

Hello! I've started being able to pick of my beardie just yesterday! I got him a month old almost 4 weeks ago so he's coming on 2 months. When I do my bonding around 8pm or 9pm for about 5-10 mins of holding,it takes about 15 just to pick him up cause he runs away from me every time i try. So, i have to chase him all around his tank (I took out all of his decor) until he runs out of energy until i can pick him up. When I'm doing this he never tries to bite and never gets a black beard so that's good news. I have a hard time picking him up because i don't want to hurt him and i'm also a newbie at this, but i want to bond with him also. When i finally get to pick him up i feed him a treat of these small dried worms (I only feed as a treat not staple fyi). So my real question is, when will he know i'm not trying to eat him and he will let me pick him up without running?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
For goodness sakes quit chasing him, it stresses him out terrabley. Stress causes illness. Give him time to get accustomed to you.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":2cly5itq said:
For goodness sakes quit chasing him, it stresses him out terrabley. Stress causes illness. Give him time to get accustomed to you.

And reinforces his fear of you. All he sees is terrifying looming figure and scary 5 headed snake monsters chasing him and trying to catch him.

KoNut

Original Poster
Actually, this helped him get used to me, he lets me pick him up more easily now. He never got stressed because his beard never turned black at all and he even ate when i got him on my hand. I've heard if you just let him run, he will know running will make you stop trying to pick him up and he will just keep running scared everytime you try. So this didn't reinforce fear whatsoever. But, thanks for the concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom