Bearding because he wants attention?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
First time posting. I suspect that my bearded dragon may be bearding because he wants attention. Has anyone else observed this behavior? I've combed through all the reasons for bearding, and nobody mentions them wanting attention, so I'm wondering if it's my imagination.

Background: I adopted Calcifer at the beginning of June, so I'm new to this, and I've been learning all I can. He is about three years old. He's in pretty good condition (it wasn't a rescue situation, though his previous set up was not correct). He's currently on Panacur (with one more dose to go) to treat pinworms, which was diagnosed at his vet visit.

I had been gone all day and came home, and he started bearding. It was just about bed time, so I wasn't sure if I should take him out or just let him go to sleep. I talked to him and stroked his beard, and some of the beard seemed to go away. I was just going to read on the couch for a while, so I took him out and swaddled him up in a towel to sit with me on the couch. The beard went away as soon as I picked him up. He's been sitting here with me all cuddled in his towel, and the beard hasn't come back. He's now asleep.

I can't imagine that it's something in his tank. I just deep cleaned EVERYTHING after he was diagnosed to prevent reinfection. His basking spot was reading 99 degrees F on my infrared temp gun, but that shouldn't be too warm. He has a cool side to move to if he gets hot. And I haven't read anywhere that they beard when they're hot.

There are no other pets in the house. He wasn't bobbing or anything. His tank is by a window but the shade was drawn. I've seen an improvement since he started the Panacur: appetite increasing, more energy, more alert. I'd hate to think that I'm missing something, but...I think that maybe he just wanted me to hold him?

I'd appreciate anyone's feedback.

Sarah and Calcifer

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes they seem to do that for no apparent reason. My guy was bearding this morning just sitting under his light. Sometimes it's shed related but I think sometimes they just get in an odd mood or just puff out for no good reason at all. I wish they could talk to us sometimes. I pretty much have the same reaction as you. Talk to them calmly and pet their beard a bit and it seems to go away quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom