Possible Brumating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,
I took my beardie into the vet to get a fecal sample checked and the vet said he is loaded with parasites and mites. The mites were found in his poop but not on him physically. The vet seems like a quack job, so going to get another second opinion just to double check. He has been very sleepy, not wanting to bask, not eating as much, if anything. Not sure if its due to the meds or a combination of both and that he is brumating. The thing is if he is loaded with parasites, isn't it bad to let him sleep? What should I do?
I feel bad that he has nothing in his enclosure, except just a food bowl and a blanket. The vet said to keep the enclosure to a minimum since he has mites, etc.

92311-3017249620.jpg
92311-9233496100.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did the vet say which parasites? I haven't heard of mites in poop (not saying it's impossible, I just haven't heard of it). If you aren't comfortable with the vet then it's a good idea to find a new one and perhaps get a second opinion. I feel that it's important to establish a good relationship with a vet and to be able to trust their findings and recommendations.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The vet just kept saying Protozoa. I was looking at the computer screen and saw little worms moving across but that was about it. The guy was kind of an A-hole. Did not like him. No bedside manners. Let alone did not like the way he handled my beardie. I mean I understand they need to get the medicine down his throat but he pinning him down and then using a cloth over his head. Definitely would like to get another second opinion and someone who can build a relationship. Very bad experience with this vet. Never going back there. Hopefully, the next one will have better mannerisms and handle my beardie with CARE and not like its a toy :cry:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ah Protozoa, that's different. Darwin had those too. Usually they can be treated with Ronidazole or Metronidazole but those can be harsh so if they are relatively low counts, it might be best to leave them be and focus on strict cleaning and sanitization routines and let his immune system keep them in check.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
He prescribed Dyno with Panacur which he finished all his meds and in the meantime been giving him probiotics and Reptaid :D In another week, will take him to another reptile vet to have a checkup until making sure he's all good to go to fully brumate. I know if they do have parasites while brumating it causes more harm.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3e4a1k9a said:
Did the vet say which parasites? I haven't heard of mites in poop (not saying it's impossible, I just haven't heard of it). If you aren't comfortable with the vet then it's a good idea to find a new one and perhaps get a second opinion. I feel that it's important to establish a good relationship with a vet and to be able to trust their findings and recommendations.

I went to this new vet and absolutely like this new vet guy! He is so nice, gentle and not once did my beardie blackbeard. The staff was even nice. Everything went very well. Luckily, Dyno went to the bathroom and even the vet was kind of enough to wait a few minutes for him to give him a warm bath since I drove an hour away to just see him. He says Dyno is beautiful healthy specimen! I also told him my concerns and he says he looks good, he did an in-house fecal look he says no mites. He did sent off the rest of the fecal to the lab to have further testing just to make sure but if it comes back all good then he is just simply brumating/slowing down. He did a thorough physical examination and handled him calmly. After everything was finished Dyno wanted to hang out and just chill. Dyno now has a vet he can go to and feel comfortable :D

Blueyes868

May I ask how they even get parasites ? My guy I think is already starting brumation.. went thru this last year and it drives me crazy with the NOT eating lol he was my daughters .. but I have him now .. since April of 2016 and hes about 7
Also I have to literally hand feed him, we think he may also have a neurological issue ... he did try when I first got him .. then shame on me, I spoiled him ?and hes crabby when I feed him for like the last couple weeks ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Reptilelady":1azulun2 said:
I went to this new vet and absolutely like this new vet guy! He is so nice, gentle and not once did my beardie blackbeard. The staff was even nice. Everything went very well. Luckily, Dyno went to the bathroom and even the vet was kind of enough to wait a few minutes for him to give him a warm bath since I drove an hour away to just see him. He says Dyno is beautiful healthy specimen! I also told him my concerns and he says he looks good, he did an in-house fecal look he says no mites. He did sent off the rest of the fecal to the lab to have further testing just to make sure but if it comes back all good then he is just simply brumating/slowing down. He did a thorough physical examination and handled him calmly. After everything was finished Dyno wanted to hang out and just chill. Dyno now has a vet he can go to and feel comfortable :D

Sounds like this vet is a much better fit for you =) I'm glad Dyno has a good vet and a clean bill of health. Did you get results from the sent away sample?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Blueyes868":2u5rc4gt said:
May I ask how they even get parasites ? My guy I think is already starting brumation.. went thru this last year and it drives me crazy with the NOT eating lol he was my daughters .. but I have him now .. since April of 2016 and hes about 7
Also I have to literally hand feed him, we think he may also have a neurological issue ... he did try when I first got him .. then shame on me, I spoiled him ?and hes crabby when I feed him for like the last couple weeks ?

Most often through contact with infected feces or from food that has come in contact with infected feces. If bugs come from a trusted source and are kept in sanitary conditions it's not usually a problem. Some parasites such as pinworms are pretty common and may be with them all of their lives to some extent. In low numbers their immune systems can keep them in check without issue though. Keeping everything as sanitary is possible is the key to preventing infections and flare ups.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":p2zqh8g4 said:
Reptilelady":p2zqh8g4 said:

Sounds like this vet is a much better fit for you =) I'm glad Dyno has a good vet and a clean bill of health. Did you get results from the sent away sample?

Sorry for the late response. Been quite busy. The vet just contacted via phone but next time I go into the office will get a copy of the results :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom