Brumation or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvel

Hi guys
Need a little help here. First time bd owner. I have a 9 month old bd and he was “eating me out of my house” :lol: However a couple of months he stopped eating and has been sleeping a lot. Usually curled up in a corner or on the cooler parts of the vivarium. He will wake up later and walk around a bit in the afternoon then start to sleep around 5pm, which is 2 hours earlier than usual. He eats a full meal(15- 20 crickets)once a week now, with the odd 2-5 crickets in between. I don’t force him to eat or dangle crickets in front of him, although really hard to do. He will nibble on veges only once a week, only a few small ripped leaves. Veges is mix of Endives and butternut squash everyday, and kale with shredded carrots 3 times a week. Used to dust crickets with calcium 6 times a week and dust with vitamins once a week. Now a little different as he eats less. Bath once a week and mist almost everyday. He does nothing in the bath but when sprayed with water on his head, he will often lick the droplets that runs down.
I know bd don’t brumate until they are over a year, but I also read the odd one may brumate under a year old. His weight has been consistent, in fact slowly increasing. Currently 190 grams and 33cm long.
When he goes to the toilet it’s solid with a white cap.

I don’t think it’s parasites as he is not losing weight. I was comfortable thinking it could be Brumation but now it’s been two months doing this thing, and considering he’s under a year old, I’m a bit worried now.

If anyone could shed some thoughts on this, that would be much appreciated.

Current set up below:

- Vivarium is 50 gal (187 litres)
- Basking area 104F (40C)
- Cool area 71F (22C)
- Use tube UVB 10

Can someone tell me how to post photos? I tried looking on the forums or push the button . I did however manage to upload photos via the photo manager.

Cheers

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He is a bit young for brumation but it's not unheard of at 9 months. At 190g he is still pretty small so he likely has some growth spurts left to come. He may just be in a lull between growth spurts. If he isn't losing weight or showing a black beard or other similar signs of illness he is probably OK. Once you've uploaded your photos you can post them to your thread by pressing the XIMG button when you reply.

cvel

Original Poster
Gees thanks for that :D His weight was increasing at a good rate until he stopped eating. Thanks for the tip with the photos.

101380-7089013574.jpg

101380-8797568595.jpg

101380-93722600.jpg

101380-36250307.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks nice and healthy to me. I'd just track his weight for now and let him do his thing. He is likely to bring his appetite back up sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom